Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Itinerary Review for 2 weeks in Laos.

• Peachula

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2011

From every person I've talked to Laos has been their favourite part of SEA, so I've considered adding an extra week, but I do have a few extra days to play with either way.
    Here is a general idea of what I was thinking for my itinerary, I've included traveling days and places I have to cross through, I'll be flying in from Hanoi to Luang Prabang , just looking for any reviews or aid on my itinerary. Main places I wish to see are Luang Prabang, Vang Viang, Vientiane , and the 4000 Islands.

Hanoi > (1h Plane) Luang Prabang [26th, 27th,]
    Luang Prabang > (5h Bus) Vang Viang [28th, 29th]
    Vang Viang > (4h Bus) Vientiane [29th, 30th,]
    Vientiane > (10h Sleeper Bus) Paske [31st]
    Paske > (2h Bus/3h30 Boat) Champasak [31st]
    Champasak > (4h Bus/5/8h Boat) Don Khong [1st, 2nd,]
    Don Khong > (1h Bus/1h30 Boat) Don Dhet [3rd, 4th,]
    [Xdays: 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th]

#1 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 16:15

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I would not go to Don Khong AND Don Det. Choose one or the other. Instead I would make a trip from LP to the Plain of Jars. Alternatively spend a day or so in Savannakhet; this is really quite a charming town and is often ignored.

#2 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 17:13

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Savannakhet was one of my least favorite places I've visited in Laos, but I think I may be in the minority there. Even so, it is definitely worth an overnight stop and is the logical choice for breaking up the long bus ride from Vientiane to Pakse, unless of course you are anxious to knock out the grueling overnight bus ride you mention.

I think Rufus suggestion to pick one of the "Don"s and stick to it is a good one too. In fact, the only thing that bugs me about your planned itinerary is that you are moving around too much and not spending enough time in places once you get there.

If you've got those X-tra days available to spend [Xdays: 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th], then I'd definitely spend the extra odd day or two in the places you will visit. At a minimum, spend a few extra days in Luang Prabang. Just remember that getting from A to B takes more time in Laos than elsewhere, and you don't want to spend the entire trip on a bus. Regards.

#3 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 12:09

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

" Savannakhet was one of my least favorite places I've visited in Laos."

I am curious as to why Exacto. Did you do the loop around Savannakhet and visit the temple with the ancient Pali scrolls and the monkey forest? There is also a dinosaur museum in S that is well worth a visit. It is a pretty quiet place, but I really like the town.

#4 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 14:05

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

For me, one of the great joys of Laos was its slow paced way of life. You need time to enjoy and appreciate that. I had 2 weeks seeing a small part of Northern Laos - started in Luang Prabang ended in Vientiane, with a diversion up to Nong Khiaow. Its a fabulous place, but rush it and I think you'll miss the point. I really wish we'd allocated more than 2 weeks even for the small part of Laos we saw. Your itinerary, to me, is way too much way too fast.

#5 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 15:34

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

You are right, Rufus. My lack of appreciation is subjective. Plus, I didn't do those things you mention, so it is fair to say that I didn't give the town a proper look and missed the highlights. As I've mentioned before, the place isn't charmless. I had a wonderful wander through the old downtown area and up along the river. But Savannakhet just didn't seem as charming or as typically Lao friendly, at least to me on those particular days, as the many other Lao towns I'd visited before or since. "Least favorite" is also relative. I still enjoyed Savannakhet, just not as much as Vientiane or Pakse or Champassak.

#6 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 19:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
itinerary review - thailand laos - 3 weeks ... By timwillems on 7 Oct 2011 0 1526 7 Oct 2011
itinerary review - thailand laos - 3 weeks in november ... By timwillems on 7 Oct 2011 0 1359 7 Oct 2011
Itinerary Review for 2 weeks in Cambodia. ... By Peachula on 31 Aug 2011 2 2956 31 Aug 2011
6 weeks SE asia - review trip itinerary please :o) ... By leones707 on 11 May 2010 0 2233 11 May 2010
Laos 2 week itinerary review and suggestions please ... By BlingDiva on 23 Jul 2013 2 2166 24 Jul 2013
Laos trip itinerary. Please review and advice if needed ... By v_sokolov on 27 Dec 2008 1 3295 29 Dec 2008