Flag of Laos

Laos forum

On my own

• Jomcevoy

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2007

Hi all. I'm hoping to be able to travel to Laos and Cambodia for 3-4 weeks in April-May this year. I'd be doing this bit before meeting up with people in the USA. For this part though, I will be a woman travelling by myself. I haven't done any travel before either, so I am a little unsure about it. I'm also on a fairly tight budget!

My idea at present is to land in Bangkok, bus/train from their to Chian Kong, enter Laos, travel down the Mekong to Luang Prabang, on to Vientiane, then down to the Cambodia border crossing at Voen Kham, do Siem Reap and Angkor Wat, Phnom Penh, Battambang, cross into Thailand at Poipet and bus/train back to Bangkok.

So, I'd really appreciate some feedback on how'd I'd go by myself (i'd rather not do the organised tour thing). Thanks very much!

Cheers,

Jo

#1 Posted: 7/2/2007 - 11:55

• Advertisement

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi Jo

Have just returned from SE Asia, also travelled to India by myself 10 yrs ago. I don't think you will have any problems, there are always other people m & f travelling alone and it is easy to hook up with others for short periods of time - you are on a regular backpacker trail. Thailand is a great place to get your travelling 'legs', the Thais are very accommodating people - just stay clear of the pushy travel agents - they are very persuasive and you may pay more than you need to. Compare prices before you hand over any money. By the time you reach Laos and Cambodia you will be travelwise.

The only real chance of being ripped off is when you first land in a unfamiliar country, there are sharks everywhere ready to prey on unsuspecting 'newbies'

I'm sure you will be fine - have a great time

Regards

Marian

#2 Posted: 7/2/2007 - 14:34

• Jomcevoy

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2007

Thanks Marian,

Just booked flights today, I'll do Laos and Cambodia, and feel better about going by myself now too!

Cheers,

Jo

#3 Posted: 9/2/2007 - 12:34

• kimley

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2006

Hi
    We travelled from Chaing Kong to Luang Prabang down the Meakong River last Wednesday 7/2 on the one day boat. Left Chiang Kong about 7:30am and got to LP about 7pm was a long day but excellent trip (arrived in the dark). Will post information on how to book (we were with friends of the owner) when I get over my jetlag and get my thoughts together. While I was travelling with friends I wandered around Luang Prabang a lot on my own and felt perfectly safe but as usual you just take care. Cheers Kim :)

#4 Posted: 13/2/2007 - 06:44

• jacass

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2007

Hi Jo

I'll be in Asia at for April and May this year. I am also a woman travelling alone. I have done it before and you'll be fine. It's much easier than you think! You just have to take care as with anywhere. I went to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia in 2005 and it was really great fun!

I'm going to Vietnam this time, but will be coming back through Cambodia. If you're around feel free to give me a shout.

Jo

#5 Posted: 13/2/2007 - 12:08

• Jomcevoy

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2007

Thanks Jo, if i'm in Cambodia still I will definetly give you a hoy!

Thanks!!

#6 Posted: 16/2/2007 - 10:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.