Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Surface mail track & trace from Lao

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

I sent a package from the Luang Prabang post office to the US in late february. The package has not arrived. I have a receipt with a tracking number but cannot seem to find anyplace online to track/trace the package.
    Is it possible they are still waiting for a container to fill up? Should I just resign myself to the fact that in all likelihood the package is lost?

#1 Posted: 7/9/2011 - 14:45

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

That is a long time. I think your package has probably been lost by the US postal service.

#2 Posted: 10/9/2011 - 08:09

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Yes I'm sure if it got lost it's the yanks fault ;-)
    (not!)

#3 Posted: 10/9/2011 - 14:31

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I am. I have NEVER had any mail lost from the Lao side.

#4 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 08:36

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I dropped off a bunch of post cards at the Lao Post Office near the morning market in Vientiane once. The nice lady at the counter told me how much it would be to mail them to the various places they were addressed and collected the money. It was over 100.000 kip. She then told me she'd place the stamps on the cards later that day. Because of bad experiences I'd had with disappearing mail sent from Mexico and Turkey, I was sure these post cards would never arrive either. But sure enough, they arrived as the lady promised.

Because of that, I too am 100 percent certain that the problem must be with the US Post Office. In fact, even if the package were sent to the UK or New Zealand, I suspect that somehow the USPS would be at fault. From what I understand, they were also responsible for the Lindberg kidnapping and the Hindenburg disaster.

@ savory: I know from experience that packages from Laos go through an extra bit of scrutiny in the states, so even though it has been a long while, all might not be lost. I have had packages show up after longer than six months, bruised and battered and obviously subject to a thorough search but still at my doorstep.

@ Rufus: Do you know of any way savory could follow up on that track/trace number from the Lao PO end? Is there an online option or would she need to present the number in person at the office?

#5 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 09:21

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Well, I've posted stuff from Vietnam, Indonesia and Singapore and it's arrived safely in NZ. So that proves that it's USPS for sure. I'm waiting on an order being shipped from US to NZ. If it doesn't arrive, that doubly proves it!

Savory, I'll be in LP the last week of September (ie 3 weeks from now or so). If you want me to follow up at the post office, feel free to get in touch. You can take a photo of the receipt and email it through and I'll see what I can do.

#6 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 09:50

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

Thanks so much guys... I will be so bummed if it is lost... the box contains a beautiful tapestry that I loved so much I visited it 3 times before deciding to purchase it.

@lizzy: thank you soooo much. I have your email so I will take a photo of the receipt & send to you.

I did some investigation & it seems that I can have it tracked by any USPS office in the states, so will send my sister a photo of the receipt as well.

I will continue to have faith in the USPS as it has always delivered, through rain, sleet & snow.

#7 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 10:07

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Hi Exacto,
    "@ Rufus: Do you know of any way savory could follow up on that track/trace number from the Lao PO end?"

Not to my knowledge. If you are still in Lao you might try going to the PO and asking them.
    Was the US postal service really responsible for the Hindenburg disaster and the Lindbergh kidnapping? I didn't know that!

#8 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 10:38

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

and the tsunami...

https://www.usps.com/

i use the track and confirm feature on this website to track items i've mailed from within the states. i don't know if it will help locate the package mailed from laos, but it wouldn't hurt to try. good luck!

#9 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 12:39

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"I've posted stuff from Vietnam, Indonesia and Singapore and it's arrived safely in NZ. So that proves that it's USPS for sure."

I feel obligated to point out the hole in that logic. Seriously, because you've sent stuff from other Asian countries to NZ and it arrived means that someone who sent from Laos to US unsuccessfully "proves" the fault of the USPS?

I too have sent many parcels from various SE Asian countries over the past dozen years to NZ/Aus/UK/Germany and yes the USA, and yep they all showed up sooner or later. Hopefully savorygal yours will too, but to claim the Laos postal service is somehow beyond fault is "logically speaking" rubbish. It's the 3rd world after all.

#10 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 14:08

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

That was tongue-in-cheek Bob! Just like exacto's claim that they are responsible for the tsunami.

I have no doubts that the Laos is no beyond reproach - hence my offer to help Savorygirl out when I'm there.

#11 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 14:13

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

OK you got me there, thought it was yet more antipodean anti-seppoism

#12 Posted: 12/9/2011 - 00:33

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

anti-seppoism - my new word of the day! Google wasn't much help in terms of providing a definition, but I get the gist of it.

FWIW Bob, I'm actually an American Antipodean - born in the US but grew up in NZ. It's fair to say I consider myself more Kiwi than Yank, but I've been known to switch sides when it suits!

#13 Posted: 12/9/2011 - 03:27

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

ok everybody.. good news... the package arrived,... seems it got forwarded to my sisters house and, she forgot to tell me :) so all is well that ends well... or something like that. and long live the USPS!

#14 Posted: 12/9/2011 - 08:32

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

and the Lao Post Office too!

#15 Posted: 12/9/2011 - 10:37

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Told you Bob. I have had mail lost in Aus, Germany and the US but never from Lao and that is in many years. By the way, what is your gripe against Lao?

#16 Posted: 12/9/2011 - 16:50

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

No gripe, just it's one of the least developed countries on earth, so understandably things don't always "work". It's sort of charming.
    Lizzy I too am a Kiwank (or preferably a Yankwee) dual US/NZ citizenship. I lived in Auckland in the 90s and got so bored with people having at a go at my "American-ness" I just started winding them up with sheep jokes and giving praise to all things Australian (Pavlova, Russel Crowe, Lord of the Rings, etc.)

the package arrived
    YAY!

#17 Posted: 12/9/2011 - 17:39

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

You mean pavlova isn't Australian???? Shock horror!

#18 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 09:04

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Damn right it isn't!

That is one of my first memories of arriving in NZ as a 13-year old - that first bite of a strawberry-topped pav at the old Noah's hotel in Christchurch. Sigh.....

#19 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 09:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.