Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Dong Phu Vieng NPA

Posted by sugarplum on 8/2/2007 at 18:57

Has anyone visited this place on a guided tour? If so is it worth going to and how much was it? We are thinking of going tomorrow so quick responses appreciated. Thanks

#1 sugarplum has been a member since 26/1/2007. Posts: 16

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/2/2007 at 20:09 admin

Hi sugarplum,

Our Laos researcher did the Dong Phu Vieng trek from Savannakhet a week or so back. While I don't have his full notes handy, this was his summary:

"Wouldn't say it was the best trek I've ever taken. There were some highlights and some problematic points. I've been comparing notes with the other trekkers and they seem to be of a similar mind. Not sure why it has such a sterling reputation. I felt like the three-day I did in Chiang Mai two years ago had a lot more to offer and was much more fun. The Dong Natad trip was far better value for money"

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by ezywalker on 13/3/2007 at 23:10

I did this trek last year and i rate it right up there with any others. Sure the scenery isn't anything like Luang Nam Ta etc. Also don't expect a close up view of the rare langur monkey.

But the warmth and hospitality of the Katang people was something else. T

Also the green discovery guide "udomsai" was extremely helpfull.

#3 ezywalker has been a member since 7/4/2006. Posts: 4

Posted by ezywalker on 13/3/2007 at 23:17

ah sorry, tour was with Lao Tourism mob, not green discovery. They are based in Savanakhet. PH : +85641214203 The cost i can't remember, normal deal, cheaper with more participants.

#4 ezywalker has been a member since 7/4/2006. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.