Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Dong Phu Vieng NPA

• sugarplum

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 3

Has anyone visited this place on a guided tour? If so is it worth going to and how much was it? We are thinking of going tomorrow so quick responses appreciated. Thanks

#1 Posted: 8/2/2007 - 18:57

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi sugarplum,

Our Laos researcher did the Dong Phu Vieng trek from Savannakhet a week or so back. While I don't have his full notes handy, this was his summary:

"Wouldn't say it was the best trek I've ever taken. There were some highlights and some problematic points. I've been comparing notes with the other trekkers and they seem to be of a similar mind. Not sure why it has such a sterling reputation. I felt like the three-day I did in Chiang Mai two years ago had a lot more to offer and was much more fun. The Dong Natad trip was far better value for money"

#2 Posted: 8/2/2007 - 20:09

• ezywalker

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2006

I did this trek last year and i rate it right up there with any others. Sure the scenery isn't anything like Luang Nam Ta etc. Also don't expect a close up view of the rare langur monkey.

But the warmth and hospitality of the Katang people was something else. T

Also the green discovery guide "udomsai" was extremely helpfull.

#3 Posted: 13/3/2007 - 23:10

• ezywalker

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2006

ah sorry, tour was with Lao Tourism mob, not green discovery. They are based in Savanakhet. PH : +85641214203 The cost i can't remember, normal deal, cheaper with more participants.

#4 Posted: 13/3/2007 - 23:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.