Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Lao Visa - 15 or 30 days upon arrival?

• jenny_v

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2011

Hi travelfishers,

I recently contacted the Lao embassy in Sweden to enquire about getting a visa. They told me that the visa issued upon arrival is only for 15 days (and not 30 days as most blogs/websites mention) as opposed to the one you can get from the embassies.

Is this something new?

I have to send my passport with DHL to Sweden to get the visa (and they only accept Swedish Kroner!!) and just looking at my options here.

Also, is it relatively easy to extend your visa in Vientaine?

Cheers,

Jenny

#1 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 20:44

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I arrived a just over a week ago and got a 30 day VOA - but I'm not on a Swedish passport, which I assume that you are. I know they charge different rates for different nationalities (from $30 up to $42 I think for the poor Canadians - these were listed on a big sign in the arrival hall.

I would be surprised if it was different for Swedes. Maybe phone them back and hope to speak to a different person just to confirm this. Also google some of the offical Laos websites and see what you can find.

#2 Posted: 7/10/2011 - 07:24

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

It has been a 30 day visa on arrival for a number of years now.
    You can extend your visa in Vientiane in the office across from the Morning Market.

#3 Posted: 7/10/2011 - 08:28

• jenny_v

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2011

Thanks guys!

I am on a Norwegian passport. Anyone else from the EU/EEA who has travelled recently and got a visa upon arrival?

Cheers,

Jenny

#4 Posted: 7/10/2011 - 15:25

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

It's definitely 30 days.
    30-day Laos tourist visa on arrival for most nationalities costs $30
    for others... Italy, Austria, Great Britain, Norway, Netherlands, Portugal, Greece, Turkey, Spain, Ireland, Switzerland, Denmark, USA: $35
    Sweden: $31
    India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Afghanistan: $40
    Canada: $42
    Effective October-1-2006
    You can extend a tourist visa for $2/day at the Laos Immigration office near Talat Sao (day market) behind the big blue and white Joint Development Bank.

#5 Posted: 7/10/2011 - 17:29

• jenny_v

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2011

Hi Captain_Bob,

thanks a lot for the info :) I think I will get it from Huay Xai (if I get it from the Swedish embassy the price incl. DHL comes to about 135 usd).

Cheers,

Jenny

#6 Posted: 7/10/2011 - 21:23

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Why on earth would you even bother to get it from an embassy as it is so easy to get on arrival?

#7 Posted: 8/10/2011 - 08:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visa on arrival 30 days to 60 day visa - ADVICE NEEDED. ... By lunar_angelic on 22 Apr 2013 3 1134 2 May 2013