Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Lao Visa - 15 or 30 days upon arrival?

Posted by jenny_v on 6/10/2011 at 20:44

Hi travelfishers,

I recently contacted the Lao embassy in Sweden to enquire about getting a visa. They told me that the visa issued upon arrival is only for 15 days (and not 30 days as most blogs/websites mention) as opposed to the one you can get from the embassies.

Is this something new?

I have to send my passport with DHL to Sweden to get the visa (and they only accept Swedish Kroner!!) and just looking at my options here.

Also, is it relatively easy to extend your visa in Vientaine?

Cheers,

Jenny

#1 jenny_v has been a member since 16/9/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by busylizzy on 7/10/2011 at 07:24

I arrived a just over a week ago and got a 30 day VOA - but I'm not on a Swedish passport, which I assume that you are. I know they charge different rates for different nationalities (from $30 up to $42 I think for the poor Canadians - these were listed on a big sign in the arrival hall.

I would be surprised if it was different for Swedes. Maybe phone them back and hope to speak to a different person just to confirm this. Also google some of the offical Laos websites and see what you can find.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Rufus on 7/10/2011 at 08:28

It has been a 30 day visa on arrival for a number of years now.
You can extend your visa in Vientiane in the office across from the Morning Market.

#3 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by jenny_v on 7/10/2011 at 15:25

Thanks guys!

I am on a Norwegian passport. Anyone else from the EU/EEA who has travelled recently and got a visa upon arrival?

Cheers,

Jenny

#4 jenny_v has been a member since 16/9/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by Captain_Bob on 7/10/2011 at 17:29

It's definitely 30 days.
30-day Laos tourist visa on arrival for most nationalities costs $30
for others... Italy, Austria, Great Britain, Norway, Netherlands, Portugal, Greece, Turkey, Spain, Ireland, Switzerland, Denmark, USA: $35
Sweden: $31
India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Afghanistan: $40
Canada: $42
Effective October-1-2006
You can extend a tourist visa for $2/day at the Laos Immigration office near Talat Sao (day market) behind the big blue and white Joint Development Bank.

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,871

Posted by jenny_v on 7/10/2011 at 21:23

Hi Captain_Bob,

thanks a lot for the info :) I think I will get it from Huay Xai (if I get it from the Swedish embassy the price incl. DHL comes to about 135 usd).

Cheers,

Jenny

#6 jenny_v has been a member since 16/9/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by Rufus on 8/10/2011 at 08:40

Why on earth would you even bother to get it from an embassy as it is so easy to get on arrival?

#7 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.