Flag of Laos

Laos forum

LP neighborhood characteristics

• ccalvin09

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2009

Hi all,

I'm headed to LP in a bit and would like to know a bit more about the personalities of the little neighborhoods so I can pick one when I roll into town looking for a guest house. I'm kind of a TravelFish junkie and love to read all the forums, but I don't think I have seen anything explaining whats in the Historic District vs. Southern LP or Behind Joma Bakery. And do you literally mean right behind a bakery? Ha! And not that LP is San Francisco, but you sure get a different taste in the Warf vs the Castro vs SOMA.

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 13/10/2011 - 07:31

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

LP is a small town. Effectively there is the Mekong side and the Nam Khan side. I prefer staying on the latter because it is quieter.

#2 Posted: 13/10/2011 - 08:56

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Cold River Guest House gets my recommendation. It's on the other side of the hill from the "center" - tourist hub, on the Nam Khan Side - but that's only a five or ten minute stroll into the mix. In fact . . . everything is a five or ten minute stroll. I liked walking along the Nam Khan home in the evening as there weren't as many lights on that side and you could really see the blanket of stars.

#3 Posted: 13/10/2011 - 09:12

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

And not that LP is San Francisco, but you sure get a different taste in the Warf vs the Castro vs SOMA.

that covers a much much larger area than central Luang Prabang where the majority of the guesthouses are. try looking at both on wikimapia/Google satellite view & compare their sizes.

behind Joma Bakery refers to the entire neighbourhood of Ban Houa Xieng (with neighbouring Ban Wat That often included). 'Joma' is easier than 'Houa Xieng' for non-Lao speakers to pronounce correctly. Joma Bakery & the PO are also the most easily recognisable landmarks along the main road for tourists who are new to a city that doesn't have much in way of street name signs, & where even locals don't really know the names of most streets.

to me there's the Disneyland area (2 of the most famous temples, gentrified, beautiful nicely conserved buildings turned into hotels, guesthouses, restaurants, travel agencies, galleries, spas, etc, see more foreign than local faces along the fully paved streets), the behind Joma Bakery area (every other house is a guesthouse, more local faces), the 'bar alley' (near Wat Aphay, whole bunch of bars that can get noisy at night), the 'old bridge' side (Ban Meunna, think it's the same quieter Nam Khan side that #2 mentioned), the 'China package tour groups' side (Phouvao Rd with Shell stations on either end), the 'old hospital-turned-Amantaka' side (quiet pleasant streets of Ban Viengxay & Ban Mano), & so on (many other 'sides', but with few - if any - guesthouses). the individual areas have different pockets of character within too. great place for a flaneur. have a look at hobomaps.com.

#4 Posted: 13/10/2011 - 09:42

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

The Nam Khan is certainly more scenic, though less storied, than the Mekong. The little lanes on both sides of the peninsula are lovely; were I to go back to LP, I would look for accommodation there.

#5 Posted: 13/10/2011 - 11:52

• ccalvin09

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2009

Thanks Wanderingcat, Hobomaps are always awesome. Do you have any additional thoughts on the Joma Bakery pocket vs the Nam Khan side of the river? Nam Khan sounds nice — I just don't want to be much more than a 10 minute walk to town. We were about that in Siem Reap and it was just right. I don't like being right on top of the late night scene as I'm usually up and down with the sun.

Same to you Glomer. Any more specific thoughts on the personalities of these little areas?

#6 Posted: 21/10/2011 - 02:57

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

was last there almost 2 years ago, things could have changed, & you might find a quiet guesthouse but end up with noise from fellow guests or even a neighbour's wedding party or a temple fair ;)

http://hobomaps.com/LuangPrabangCentralMap.html
    JG208-210 = Nam Khan area
    JD206 = so-called 'bar alley' (Hive Bar, Lao Lao Garden, Smile Lao Bar, etc) - quiet in the daytime though
    JD-JE 198-199 = plenty of guesthouse names in blue font
    you can work out the distance using the scale...the area shown in this map is really flat except for Phou Si hill (so if coming from the Nam Khan side, you'll have to walk around this hill to get to the National Museum area...or pay a fee to climb up the hill)

#7 Posted: 21/10/2011 - 21:56

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

I personally avoided Joma (missionary-owned). I liked the area from the primary school (had breakfast at Café Ban Vat Sene everyday) to the tip of the peninsula, but also enjoyed the morning market on the other side of town. We were there just before Christmas, so Sisavangvong was quite crowded, but useful for atms/internet. My big regret is not making it to Nong Khiaw, so if you have time, go!

#8 Posted: 22/10/2011 - 01:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.