Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Dollar to Laos KiP at airport

• Bobobrighton

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2009

Hi,

I have looked for this answer but couldn't find it so hoping someone could help me.

I am flying this time in to Luang Prabang and will have to exchange money straight away at the airport. Can someone tell me if there is exchange facilities at the LP airport as I need to pay a bill on arrival in Kip

Thanking you in advance
    Booboo

#1 Posted: 15/10/2011 - 21:53

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Yep, you will be able to exchange currency at the aiport. USD also readily accepted everywhere as an alternative so you would probably find that USD would work as well.

#2 Posted: 16/10/2011 - 07:32

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Yes there is a change booth at the airport. Contrary to the above advice, please do not pay in USD. The Lao Govt is making a concerted effort to have its citizens use Kip. This should be supported. After all, can I pay in Kip when I go to the US?

#3 Posted: 16/10/2011 - 09:43

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I've tried to pay in Kip here in the states, but even in areas with strong Lao communities, nobody seems to accept Kip. Funny that. Then again, I've never seen prices quoted in Kip here in the states either (or Euros or even pesos for that matter) and I have often seen prices quoted in dollars in Laos. Go figure.

On my first trip to Laos in the mid-90's, nobody wanted Kip except for the smallest purchases from street vendors, and there was almost no chance of exchanging Kip for anything else. That has changed over the years, as more and more prices are quoted in Kip and I even saw tourists exchanging Kip for dollars at a bank in Pakse last year. You can still pay in dollars or baht in Laos, particularly in tourist areas, but the good old Kip is much stronger and more widely accepted now than it ever was. That is probably why the Lao Government is making the effort Rufus mentioned above.

It has been a few years now, but I exchanged a travellers check at the airport in Luang Prabang after flying in from Chiang Mai. The exchange booth I used was after you cleared immigration and customs, however, so you'll still need to have some sort of cash (ironically, usually dollars) to pay for your visa on arrival if you don't have a visa yet. Regards.

#4 Posted: 16/10/2011 - 11:53

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Not 100% sure about this, but I believe you can pay in Kip now at the Friendship bridge. Not sure about airports.

#5 Posted: 16/10/2011 - 14:51

• Bobobrighton

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2009

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their quick response it is really appreciated

Regards
    Booboo

#6 Posted: 18/10/2011 - 01:02

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

When I arrived at LP 3 weeks ago the ATM was out of service and the exchange booth was closed (I was there 3-4:45pm). I have been informed since then that the airport ATM is regularly out of order. Note you can pay for airport taxi in dollars and it is a set fare of $6.00 USD. You can also pay in Baht and Kip - perhaps others too.

#7 Posted: 18/10/2011 - 14:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.