Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Laos in march or april?

• georg066

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2011

I am planning a 3 week trip to Laos. Unfortunately march and april is the only time I can get off work.

I read that the smoke in laos is really bad in march and april.
    Quote travelfish: 'March to May in Laos -- yuck!'

Between march and april what is the best time to go to Laos?
    Or would you advise to not go at all during that time?
    Is it that bad?

I would be really thankful for hearing some experience!

Thanks in advance
    Georg

#1 Posted: 22/10/2011 - 17:06

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

March is hot. April is hotter, however Pi Mai does occur around the middle of April. From whom did you hear about the smoke? What areas were mentioned? There is no smoke in April and not much in March. The last few years have been fine.
    You posted this on other sites as well. Your answers will always be the same.

#2 Posted: 23/10/2011 - 08:50

• georg066

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2011

Hi Rufus,

I am not too worried about hot weather. However I am bit worried about the smoke.

The travelfish weather page and a lot of guide books complain about smoke during that time. See http://www.travelfish.org/weather/laos

I think its supposed to be mainly in northern Laos. But I am not totally sure.

But It's nice to hear that you didnt have any problems. Thanks for your response

#3 Posted: 23/10/2011 - 16:08

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I refered you to a bunch of my posts on Thorn Tree but here's the lowdown anyway. Burning of farmlands and hills in the far north hilly region to prepare for planting takes place in January-March and it can get uncomfortable in March when the heat also maxes out. It depends a lot on wrong place wrong time if a big burn is underway closeby, so it can just be a little hazy or downright choking depending on where you are at the time. April can be statistically hotter but it usually brings the first decent rains of the year which clear the air significantly. So on that basis (and because of the festival mid-month) I would recommend April instead of March. It will be hot but hopefully will rain a bit too and cool/clear the air (or you just throw water on each other for Pi Mai).

#4 Posted: 23/10/2011 - 17:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Laos March/April ... By the_bending_unit on 4 Mar 2010 2 2777 5 Mar 2010
Laos in late March/early April ... By Orbital on 14 Mar 2006 1 2874 15 Mar 2006
Big mistake to tour Thailand,Laos in March&April?? ... By universalee on 14 Feb 2014 7 585 15 Feb 2014