Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Help 2 weeks itinerary Laos

• queensy83

Joined Travelfish
    23rd October, 2011

Hello,

We are a 28 years old couple who are going to Laos in December for 2 weeks.

We have the following itinerary in mind:

2 nights Huay Xai (including 2 days-1night Gibbon Experience, already booked)
    3 nights Luang Namtha including 1 or 2 nights trekking trip to hill tribe villages
    2 nights Muang Khua/Nong Khiaw
    3 nights Luang Prabang

And from here, we have two options:

Option 1:
    2 nights Vang Vieng
    2 nights Vientiane
    Flight Vientiane - Phnom-Phen (or Siem Reap. Same price: 175 US$ one way with Lao Airlines)

Option 2:
    Night bus LP to Vientiane
    1 day Vientiane between nightbuses
    Night bus Vientiane to Pakse
    2 nights around Pakse (Boulaven Plateau or 4000 islands) and overland to Cambodia

What do you think of these two itineraries? Would you go for option 1 or option 2?

Regarding the budget, is 35 US$/day/person a reasonable amount? That would include budget to medium accommodation, food (street food and simple restaurants), local transport, sightseeing and giving ourselves a treat once in a while. And that would exclude Gibbon Experience and trip to hill tribe villages in Luang Namtha.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Best regards,
    Sonsoles & Iván

#1 Posted: 24/10/2011 - 21:34

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

There isn't that much you can do in Pakse for 2 nights, especially considering you'll arrive after a not very comfortable night bus from V. to Pakse. If you took off that day you could bike up to Tad Lo or Paksong for 1 night, returning the next day to Pakse so that you're in town the following morning when you'd be heading south to Cambodia. Usually people only do this route if they have a little more time and want to check out either Champasake (Wat Phu) or Si Phon Don (4,000 Islands) which is on the border with Cambodia.

Given that you're already exploring a lot of the North, I'd keep to a Northern Laos itnerary and save the south for if you decide to return some day. I actually have no experience with either Vang Vieng or Vientiane , and VV has its share of haters. However, those I've known who have visited it say you can go the party route or find your own way to enjoy it - after all it is beautiful. And as for Vientiane - may as well give the capital two nights to kick your feet up before you fly out.

You can get budget accomodation for 5-10 USD a room, except maybe in Luang Prabang which I hear is feeling the bite, so split between two people I think that won't be a problem. Food isn't expensive so I think you should be okay with this budget.

#2 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 13:52

• johnbarring-
    ton

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2011

I stayed in really nice accommodation in Luang Prabang, i think it was about 10 USD but i had my own apartment! It's a gorgeous town! we had only planned on staying there for a few days but fell in love with it and stayed for 2 weeks! I wonder if you'll feel the same way...

#3 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 23:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.