Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Against the flow- Si Phan Don to Houayxai

• David_Flick

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2011

Hi Everyone
    Me and my GF are travelling the length of Laos upstream, starting in Si Phan Don and ending at Houayxai.
    I just want to check that my research is accurate so far- We're sorted beyond VN, VV and LP and then the slow boat via Pakbeng, it's just the start that I need to check!
    Can anyone confirm the best way of getting from SPD to Vientianne without flying? Do you have to stay overnight at Pakse and Savannakhet when you take the bus, or can you go the whole way in one fell swoop?
    Thanks for the advice.

#1 Posted: 28/10/2011 - 04:29

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'm doing this exact some route in Feb. I start in Pakse, down to Si Phan Don, then back up with stops along the way... i.e Savannakhet, Tham Kong Lo and a few other places I haven't figured out yet... but I plan on taking the bus.

#2 Posted: 28/10/2011 - 05:59

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I think that the VIP bus from Pakse to Vientiane takes around 12 hours. So, yes, you can do it in one trip if you don't mind missing all the places in between.

Minivan from Si Phan Don to Pakse. The VIP bus station, for the VIP overnight buses, is near the south end of town. Where are you entering Laos from? If you're crossing from Chong Mek in Thailand, you should think about getting your bus ticket ahead of time at the VIP station before heading to SPD. If you are going to take the International Bus from Ubon Ratchathani, it will drop you off at the VIP station.

#3 Posted: 28/10/2011 - 06:46

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I plan on entering at Chong Mek, but may stay in SPD about a week... and go back to Pakse, can't I just get my ticket then? Why in advance? Or is that just for the VIP bus to Vientiane?

#4 Posted: 28/10/2011 - 07:38

• phishsticks

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2011

Ya I'm planing on doing the same trip with my girlfriend in Feb. We're also going to hit up the Konglor Cave, and Pakse/Wat Phu/Bolaven Plateau on the way. You might want to research about these places, they seem like they'd be amazing.

#5 Posted: 28/10/2011 - 11:39

• David_Flick

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2011

Tilapia- We're coming from Cambodia via Stung Treng but thanks for the advice re Thailand anyway!

Altmtl and phishsticks- I'd like to stop off on the way (trust me, I'd rather not take a 12 hour bus journey!) but have a bit of a whistlestop tour of the area so wanted to get to the North as soon as possible. I figure more time in the 3 northern cities should make up for the long bus journey.

So in theory we could take a mini van from Si Phan Don to Pakse during the day and then a long overnight bus from Pakse to Vientiane (missing out on all the good stuff inbetween).

#6 Posted: 28/10/2011 - 20:23

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

With regards to buying tickets in advance, I was just referring to the overnight VIP bus to Vientiane.

#7 Posted: 28/10/2011 - 22:33

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Ok thanks tilapia :)

phishsticks Looks like we may run in to each other along the way - lol

#8 Posted: 29/10/2011 - 00:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.