Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Japanese Encephalitis and Malria Meds Really Necessary for Laos and Cambodia??

Posted by sharoonie on 1/11/2011 at 10:46

Hi There,

I'll be in Laos for 3 weeks in December and will most likely do a hill tribe trek and visit a national park or two. Next, 1 week in Siem Reap and a couple of days in Battambang. I keep reading on the web that I need a Japanese Encephalitis vaccination and malaria pills before I go. I know most of you are probably not international medicine physicians, but if you are in a position to let me know how necessary those things are, I'd appreciate it!!

Thanks!

#1 sharoonie has been a member since 27/10/2011. Posts: 14

Posted by Rufus on 1/11/2011 at 12:12

I don't know where you read this, but it is not correct. You need neither.

#2 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by altmtl on 1/11/2011 at 16:40

I'm not a medical expert but I'd pass on the Japanese Encephalitis. I stopped taking Malaria tabs when I last went to India. Hep A/B,Tetanus and Typhoid.

See:http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/laos.htm

#3 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by altmtl on 1/11/2011 at 22:34

Actually I think you have a better chance of being in a traffic accident or catching an STD than catching JE - lol

#4 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992

Posted by sharoonie on 1/11/2011 at 23:55

Thank you! Gotta love Travelfish. I also read Rabies vaccination required, too, but I refused to fall for that one...

#5 sharoonie has been a member since 27/10/2011. Posts: 14

Posted by altmtl on 2/11/2011 at 00:56

Just stay away from stray dogs & monkeys :)

#6 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992

Posted by tyler on 2/11/2011 at 07:59

I have been to SEA for four months in each of the last 4 years and have never been vaccinated for rabies or JE. Both of these are quite expensive and require multiple shots (2 for JE and 3 for rabies).
I do take malaria meds when I travel just because I don't really know where I'll end up - I'm covered just in case. I met a traveler one year on the Bay Islands, Honduras (not a malaria zone) who had malaria.
It is not pretty and it does happen...I'm talking about malaria (but I think it also applies to the traffic accidents and STD's)
Enjoy...Asia!

#7 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.