Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Luang Prabang to Plain of Jars

• qualitywork1

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

Hi Everyone, I shall be in Laos in about 3 weeks and want to travel to Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, Phonsovan and Vientiene. What is the best order to do this in ? I hate long bus journeys and read the journey from LP to VV is about 8 hours. Is there a quicker way of doing this? I shall then be heading south and exiting at Cambodia. thanks. Also any must see places on the way? My budget is $70/day

#1 Posted: 7/11/2011 - 01:16

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"I hate long bus journeys"
    Boy did you pick the wrong country (wink wink)!
    Luang Prabang to Phonsavan is about 260km, but it's a very twisty hilly route so it takes a long time (daily 830am bus scheduled to arrive at 5:30pm). Generally the older the bus the longer it takes to crawl up the hills but I've seen newer buses and even minivans which can go faster so maybe worth paying a bit more for a modern vehicle (around 160,000k for VIP as opposed to 90,000k for standard bus).

#2 Posted: 7/11/2011 - 13:18

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Phonsovan is a bit out of the way if you hate long bus rides - and I'd agree with Captain Bob that Laos isn't the best choice either - rent a motorbike.

As he said, the ride to Phonsavan is even longer than VV to LP. No matter, if you go out to Phonsavan the only way to get back is to go the same way (well, other ways are in for very long bus rides so off the table). I'm not sure what way you are headed into Laos - so not sure what to say about the best way to go in. However, the most logical would be LP first then down to Vientine if you are eventually headed south to Cambodia. . . I'm imagining you're going ot fly.

#3 Posted: 7/11/2011 - 20:47

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

"I hate long bus journeys"
    Boy did you pick the wrong country (wink wink)!

agree with #2 :P
    if you really really want short bus journeys in Laos, you'll have to break up the long journeys & overnight in towns along the way = longer time.
    not too sure about doing those mountain routes in tourist minivans...they take less time but with riskier driving e.g. attacking blind corners at top speed...not fun when there are many large trucks on HWY 13, people tend to drive in the middle of the road instead of keeping to their respective lanes, & there are few if any guardrails.

#4 Posted: 7/11/2011 - 22:04

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I agree about the potential hazard of taking a faster minivan, but if you're in a hurry and can't fly... On motorbike trips including some to Phonsavan I am usually at pace with the older buses since I stop a lot for photos, but minivans always win the race. They are often driven by young guys who are showing off their command of a motorised vehicle - youthful pride of driving something most Laos people cannot afford to own. And they even speed up when passing through villages, sort of like "get outta the way here comes Mr. Awesome!" But a slower clunky old bus avergaing 30kph is more "Laos Style"

#5 Posted: 9/11/2011 - 08:28

• qualitywork1

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

Thanks for the replies everyone. I would love to hire a motorbike to get to Phonsavan. Where would i hire one from please and how much would i expect to pay? Is it possible to hire a bike in luang Prabang and drop it off in Vientiene?

#6 Posted: 10/11/2011 - 01:07

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

http://www.bike-rental-laos.com
    One-way rentals available

#7 Posted: 10/11/2011 - 02:55

• qualitywork1

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

Thanks captain. i have emailed Jules rentals and await their reply.

#8 Posted: 10/11/2011 - 23:33

• qualitywork1

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

Well i have just returned from my trip. We hired 2 honda 250cc bikes from Jules Classic bikes. They delivered them to us in LP. I thoroughly recomend this company. My friends bike broke internally at Nam Nuan. We rang jules who arranged for another bike to be shipped to Phonsavan[our next stop] the following day. Very good service from them and the bikes are in good condition and well maintained. It definately was my best bike trip ever. Thanks for the recomendation Captain Bob and happy Christmas to you all.

#9 Posted: 27/12/2011 - 01:09

• PeterJW

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2011

Hello. I did Luang Probang to Phonsavan in 6 hours by minivan. Don't take the bus - they have to turn the air con to get power to go uphills. I met a lot of unhappy people at a stop over - I think I can quote them as saying it was "****". Charge your ipod too because you won't be reading. Its also 6 hours from Phonsavan to Vang Viene. Exciting ride though with great views and maybe a near ditch experience or two. Personally that was the funniest bit for me but some people on the minivan were seriously shitting themselves and unhappy. I still don't know why I laughed. Its 4 hours from from Vang Viene to Vientiene instead of the 10 or 12 from Phonsavan. Watch out for coppers in the happy bars in vang Viene if thats your thing. I swear I saw a guy with well cropped hair, quite muscly, wearing a tubing t-shirt smoking something that smelled of nothing. I even pretended to go for a piss just so I could walk past him to check. I put mine in the ashtray and left...

#10 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 11:45

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"Oh, word of advice though, Vientiene is pretty horrible, i wouldn't plan on spending too much time there!"

Rufus, who lives there, says it's a great town. I'm inclined to believe him.

#11 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 00:28

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I've been to Laos twice now, 3 weeks each time, and still haven't made it to Vientiane - something I have to remedy. If you are coming in from BKK to the south it is out of the way, and if you're coming in and out from China, it is a little bit of a stretch to get down there. Last time I was in the north I chose to do a Phonsovan loop around to Sam Nuea and over to Nong Kiaow rather than go down to VV and Vientiane. There isn't anything there specifically to draw me in, but I'd actually be very interested now in seeing how the Laos people set up a national capital.

#12 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 01:08

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"There isn't anything there specifically to draw me in"
    Food, wine, colonial architecture, museums, shopping.
    Not interested in any of those, Casey?

#13 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 21:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

No Karakoe? What the hell is wrong with the place?

#14 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 23:09

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I really liked Vientiane - would have liked to explore a bit longer than the 2 days that I had. It was nice to walk along the river at sunrise, to enjoy dinners on the street in the evening, and just explore the outbacks of the city during the day.

No karaoke? Thank goodness!

#15 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 23:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"It was nice to walk along the river at sunrise"

You mean sunset right? Sunrise is when we sleep.

"No karaoke? Thank goodness!"

I was only ragging on Rufus for ommitting it - and inside joke. I am sure Vientianne has Karaoke. It's a SEA staple.

#16 Posted: 4/4/2012 - 12:16

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Nah... sunrise, MM!! Maybe I was still suffering jetlag at that point, but I did happen to enjoy some nice sunrise walks in VTE. I really enjoyed the peacefulness of walking along the waterfront with the the locals who out getting their morning exercise while all the tourists were still tucked up in bed (possibly nursing hangovers from the karaoke the night before). Everyone seems so much friendlier at that time of morning. :-)

Yeah, I'm sure there is karaoke there somewhere. I enjoy watching the local community getting into it and having their fun - but geesh, it (generally) sounds awful!

#17 Posted: 4/4/2012 - 14:49

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Definitely Karaoke, though I wouldn't really know, Mac - nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

#18 Posted: 4/4/2012 - 20:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Luang Prabang to Plain of Jars ... By messej01 on 2 Aug 2006 7 10856 7 Sep 2006
a good stopover between Luang Prabang and Plain of jars? ... By QWE on 27 Apr 2013 1 697 28 Apr 2013
Plain of Jars ... By curliesue on 2 Mar 2011 4 3048 10 Mar 2011
Plain of Jars ... By Georgie on 3 Nov 2006 2 2318 4 Nov 2006
Plain Of Jars ... By Glhaskell on 5 Apr 2009 10 4224 23 Apr 2009
Plain of Jars--Photography ... By thinkstopthink on 11 Dec 2012 16 1510 21 Jan 2013
Maps of the Plain of Jars ... By thinkstopthink on 5 Feb 2013 0 666 5 Feb 2013
Motorbike from Phonsavan to the plain of jars ... By PeterW on 18 Mar 2012 9 2160 4 Apr 2012
Phonsavan - Banna Plain of Jars House ... By Ramblergirl on 11 Feb 2009 0 3426 11 Feb 2009
Maly Hotel, Phonsawan - Plain of Jars ... By peachbanana on 27 Aug 2008 4 2682 3 Nov 2008