Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Luang Prabang Travel agent problems

• robyn

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2007

We have just returned from 17 days in Laos and I felt I should warn other travellers to be careful when booking through travel agents that they get what they pay for. As there were 4 of us travelling together we decided to book a car and driver to take us from Luang Prabang to the Plain of Jars. The agent we approached had a young English speaking university student who helped us and suggested he could also organise an English speaking guide to take us and show us around the Plain of Jars. As we were only there for I day we thought this would save us time so agreed. He then asked if we had accomodation as he could give us a good deal for transfers, tours and accomodation. We specified that we would like to stay at a specific hotel but he said it was not so good. He told us he knew a new hotel that wasn't in the guide books yet and for an extra amount we could have private rooms with our own hot showers and Western toilet. As he seemed to be very helpful and know what he was doing we agreed to pay extra and be upgraded. We paid a deposit and agreed to return the day before we left and pay the balance. Our receipt didn't specify a hotel name or that we would have an english speaking guide. Our first mistake.
    When we returned the owner was there but not the person we had dealt with and he looked at the hotel made some calls and said it was all arranged. We did try and get a hotel name from him but he just said it was a very nice hotel and pretended he didn't understand.
    What we got was a driver who spoke no english but we were stuck as we had checked out of our hotel and had flights booked for 2 days time. We left and after a 7 hour drive arrived to a Hotel? that was above the travel agents Plain of Jars office and had rooms with windows that didn't shut and a hole in the door. These were rooms we had paid $50 US a night for and they weren't clean. They did have a western toilet and seemed to have some hot water. The driver left and indicated he would return at 9.00 am the next morning and no one spoke english. When we tried to call the travel agent in Luang Prabang they couldn't understand english and the english speaking fellow had gone home even though he worked from 4.00 - 11.00pm. We tried agian later but got the same response. The same the next day.
    We went out and found somewhere else to stay as we weren't going to stay there. The driver who was supposed to be picking us up at 9.00am arrived at the hotel where we did stay to drive a couple back to Luang Prabang at 8.30am so we are assuming he wasn't going to pick us up anyway. We organised another tour guide and wrote it off but please be careful when dealing with these agents. I don't know if I can name the agent so I haven't but he is recommended in my Footprints book.

#1 Posted: 18/2/2007 - 13:30

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel info Luang Prabang -Luang Namtha-Mouang Khoua ... By jaschonaber on 17 Feb 2009 5 4556 16 Dec 2010
suggestions for travel from Luang Namtha to Luang Prabang ... By paradise on 7 Feb 2009 1 3575 9 Feb 2009
travel Phonsavan to Luang Prabang ... By travelfam on 25 Sep 2009 3 3069 26 Sep 2009
TRAVEL FROM SAPA TO LUANG PRABANG ... By scottoe on 29 Nov 2008 1 2973 29 Nov 2008
distance between vientian and luang prabang and travel by car/bus ... By thaifook on 22 Oct 2013 2 576 22 Oct 2013
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9522 19 Aug 2011
Chaing Mai to Luang Prabang to Siem Reap Travel Suggestions? ... By jenwhalensf on 19 Apr 2007 0 2455 19 Apr 2007