Flag of Laos

Laos forum

From Vientiane to Trat - whats the best possibility?

• vild

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2011

Hi,
    after our roundtrip in Laos we finish in Vientiane . Our next destination is Ko Chang. Is there a easy possibility to get from Vientiane directly to Trat so that we don't have to pass Bangkok? Maybe with bus?
    I hope someone can give me some advise how to manage....
    Thanks.

#1 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 11:32

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Vientiane to Nakhon Ratchasima - one direct bus per day from Khua Din bus station: http://laomeow.blogspot.com/2010/01/vientiane-khua-din-bus-station.html (2nd last photo)

then Nakhon Ratchasima to Chanthaburi by bus, then another bus to Trat (think there is no direct bus).

#2 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 18:58

• frasmc

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2005
    Total reviews: 3

I just got to Koh Chang yesterday after leaving Vang Vieng on Monday with a connection in Vientiane and I did go through Bangkok. The trip from Vientiane was so easy and convenient that I doubt it would be significantly improved by avoiding Bangkok aside from maybe costing a bit less.

From Vientiane I took the night bus to Bangkok (not sure of the price from Vientiane. I paid 240k kip for Vang Vieng to Bangkok). The bus was comfortable, only 1/4 full, included stop for a free dinner, and arrived in Bangkok early (420am instead of 6am). I used the extra time to grab a meal at a 24 hour restaurant on Soi Rambutri before cabbing it to Ekamai for the 7:45am bus to Laem Ngob pier (452 baht return ticket). Ferry to Koh Chang (80 baht) then sangthaew to Lonely beach (100 baht). Between Vientiane and being settled in a guesthouse here it only took 21 hours (shuttle to the border/night bus left Nam Phu fountain just after a 5pm and by the time I had found a bungalow I liked it was almost 2pm).

#3 Posted: 23/11/2011 - 00:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.