Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Regretfully we can't make it to Laos

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

My wife and I will be spending 32 days in Vietnam/Cambodia commencing mid December. Orginally we were going to set some time(4 days) aside for Southern Laos,however, we thought compressing 3 countries into 32 days was stretching things a little too much.

From the videos I've seen of Laos, it seems like a place that deserves much more time than a few days in the South. Next year perhaps we will check out Laos,Mynmar and perhaps a little of Southern China or North Vietnam.

How much time does Laos truely deserve and what are we missing?
    Can't wait to get there someday!

#1 Posted: 3/12/2011 - 22:33

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

I've spent three weeks in the North and three weeks in the South on different trips - but I think you could get away with a three weeks (three and a half better) total if you want to just hit highlights. If you were going to see Southern China and N. Vietnam in the same trip - you could start out by flying into BKK and then go into Southern Laos first.

You could spend a few days in 4,000 islands, Champasake, take a couple days to see the Bolaven Plateau and then take an overnight bus north to Vientiane. Just two nights there, and then you could see Luang Prabang for another couple of nights. At that point you'd be able to head to Nong Kiaow and work your way over to Northern Vietnam, or go via Phonsavan for the Plain of Jars. With a rough itinerary like this you could spend a week and half in the south and two weeks rumbling around the north.

#2 Posted: 4/12/2011 - 00:25

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

Thanks for your reccomendations,I'll file it away for a trip hopefully that could happen next year.

#3 Posted: 12/12/2011 - 19:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.