Flag of Laos

Laos forum

2-3 weeks in Laos - Northern or Southern?

• jennakuz

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2011

Hi,
    I am going to be in Laos for 2-3 weeks in March/April of 2012. I see there are two 2 week trip outlines for Laos on travelfish, one of the north and one of the south. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of pros/cons of either part of the country? I am a lone 20 year old female Canadian traveller if that helps - looking to do more than just tube down the river and drink! I want to see the true beauty of Laos!
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

#1 Posted: 13/12/2011 - 12:47

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I don't think you'll go wrong either way. Both the north and the south are pretty great.

It might depend on where else you plan to visit on this trip as to which option is best for you. For example, if you plan to visit Angkor Wat and then spend some time on the beaches of Cambodia and eastern Thailand, then southern Laos is the best choice. But if you planned on visiting northern Thailand for the Songkhran/Thai New Year Water Festival in mid-April, then Luang Prabang and surrounds makes better sense, at least in terms of logistics.

What types of things do you like to do when on holiday?

#2 Posted: 13/12/2011 - 16:08

• jennakuz

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2011

I am definitely going to visit Angor Wat. I am looking to visit some villages, go on cycling trips... not planning any overnight treks but I would be very interested in day treks. But I am always ready for a beach day. I should probably have mentioned that I am planning to enter Laos coming from Chiang Mai.

#3 Posted: 13/12/2011 - 17:53

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Okay. Well if you are already planning to enter Laos in the north, why not use the two to three weeks to just run the full length of the country. You might want to save some time and road fatigue by taking an internal flight from Luang Prabang to Vientiane or Vientiane to Pakse . Once you are done with Laos, you can work your way into Cambodia and Angkor Wat.

The north has lots of places to go where you'll find those villages you mention. In the south, a trip through the Bolevans Plateau could be cool, as well as a few days in Champasak and a visit to Wat Phu. It will be a great warm up to Angkor. Go early in the morning. Just before you cross into Cambodia, you can spend some time in the 4,000 Islands area for some beach time, Mekong style.

Three weeks would be best if possible for that route, but you could still do it in two, particularly with an internal flight or the Vientiane to Pakse overnight bus trip. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 13/12/2011 - 18:26

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Agree with exacto that with three weeks you can see a bit of both. I'm guessing that if you are coming in from Chiang Mai that you'll be taking the slow boat directly to Luang Prabang ? If not - you could go to Lang Nam Tha for a couple of days to cycle around that area. Then go down to Luang Prabang and environs for a few days and work your way to Vientiane , you'd still probably only take a week and a half to get to Vientiane if you plan on just those two stops. That would give you the time to go down to Pakse (Bolaven Plateau) for a few days, Champasak (2 nights) and then Si Phon Don before entering Cambodia overland like exacto said. I don't think you need to do the internal flight as the Vientiane to Pakse bus is overnight.

#5 Posted: 13/12/2011 - 20:43

• jennakuz

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2011

thanks so much exacto and caseyprich... Laos outline is basically complete now!

#6 Posted: 13/12/2011 - 22:48

• 666Biggi

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2012
    Location Australia

North and South are both very beautiful in their own ways.
    Most of the big tourist sites are in the North, and as a result everything is clearly aimed more for the tourist and can come a bit 'pre packaged', but in saying that, it also means that it makes travelling through there or communicating and general life easier (not that it is hard to travel through the south).
    The south is very beautiful, but in some of the smaller towns there isn't the variety in budget of accommodation and food that the north offers (if your more use to travelling in style).
    But in the end it's what you want to get out of it.
    I have just done the entire length of Laos and am very grateful that i decided to do the whole lot, I wouldn't choose one part over the other, take exacto's advice, do the lot!

And just putting it out there, tubing clearly isn't for everyone, but dont write Vang Vien off, it and it's surroundings are incredibly beatiful, with so much to do and see that doesn't involve getting drunk.

#7 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 07:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Northern Vietnam & Northern Laos vs. Southern Vietnam and Southeast Cambodia ... By ccalvin09 on 16 Mar 2011 6 6771 17 Mar 2011
Southern Laos or Northern Vietnam ??? ... By kgroarke on 7 Mar 2011 4 3318 8 Mar 2011
Southern Laos (Pakse) to Northern Cambodia (Preah Vihear Temple) overland, possible? ... By wheretonext on 5 Mar 2013 2 1559 6 Mar 2013
About 2.5 weeks in northern Laos - can I get all of this done? ... By Buzz on 15 Sep 2010 8 1809 28 Sep 2010
Northern Laos in 3-4 weeks - is this itinerary doable? ... By saxomophone on 11 May 2009 2 2494 11 May 2009
Vietnam, Cambodia, Southern Laos in 4 weeks (May) ... By dco000 on 16 Feb 2011 4 3697 23 Feb 2011
27 y/o female heading from Northern Thailand thru Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Southern Thailand ... By starseed on 4 Mar 2011 10 3495 25 Apr 2011
5 weeks Cambodia and Southern Laos Itinerary June / July ... By Anetian on 30 May 2013 3 1550 31 May 2013