Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Best Route to get to Cambodia

• mishka1988

Joined Travelfish
    21st December, 2011

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice. I seem to be in a rut going about planning my route. I'll be starting in Thailand crossing into Laos from the Chiang Rai area passing through Luang Prang, Vientiane.. not sure if I should make my way back into Thailand to then make it to the Pot Pei crossing into Cambodia or if possible to head south in a reasonable amount of time to see 4000 islands and then cross into Cambodia heading to Siem Riep.

I have been reading there are buses headed to southern Laos, but do people start the 4000 islands from the north?

Also to add to some confusion here, my visa to Cambodia was applied for the Pot Pei border. What are the chances of changing the entry location?

Any advice or suggestions you could pass long would be extremely helpful! I'm still drafting my itinerary and just a beginner at this.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 1/1/2012 - 14:09

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

For a start I'm assuming you have an e-visa since any other visa can be used at any crossing-there are no restrictions. If you have an e-visa I believe there is a facility on the e-visa site to change your point of entry, all you need is the e-visa number to find your 'page.'

Getting to the Cambodia border and onwards is extremely simple from Pakse which is the last big town in Laos before the border. Lots of minibuses do the crossing and any guesthouse in Pakse can arrange it for you.I'm not sure if the buses go from 4000 islands but Pakse is only a couple of hours away from the area.

#2 Posted: 1/1/2012 - 18:15

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

There are buses that pick up directly from 4000 islands. They can be arranged at the 'business district' on Don Dhet. Usually they are buses coming down from Pakse that haven't filled all there seats - so you'll just catch it in the morning as it makes a stop to pick up folks.

#3 Posted: 1/1/2012 - 21:35

• Takalani

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2012

It really depends how much time you have. From Vientienne you can either get a bus or flight to Pakse . From Pakse go via 4000 Islands (and can stop for a night or 2) to the Laos / Cambodia border. From the border to Siem Reap there are a few buses each day and take about 10 hours. If you went through Thailand you are either going to have to get flights or several long bus journeys (note from bangkok to Siem Reap via Pot Pei is about 6 hours anyway) so I doubt there is much cost / time advantage). Most direct option would of course be to fly to Siem Reap from with Vientienne or Luang Prabang.

#4 Posted: 2/1/2012 - 21:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.