Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Nan Province in Thailand to Luang Prabang?

• weiz

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2012

I will be going to Bo Kluea in Nan province in Feb, and thinking of making a trip to Luang Prabang, as Nan is close to the borders of Laos.

I've been searching the net for any possible routes or tour companies leading travellers from Nan province to Laos. I wonder if you know any info on possible routes from Nan to LP? Is there any flight from Nan airport to LP?

Thank you very much.

Wei

#1 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 10:12

• Advertisement

• robdale

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2012
    Total reviews: 5

Hi: I made this trip in November. I stayed at Boklua View resort in Bo Kluea and they drove me to the border crossing at Huay Kon. It is only 78km from the resort, but takes almost 1.5 hours, as the road is very winding. I got a visa on arrival in Laos, but without a Thai companion may have then had trouble arranging ongoing transport. We eventually got a mini van to Hongsa for 2000baht, which I thought was expensive as it was only about 37km if I recall. I paid 1500baht for the 78km trip from Boklua. I spoke with the owner of Jumbo Guesthouse at Hongsa, who said for any future trips she could arrange a pick up from the border crossing. So you might want to look at a night in Hongsa. I am sure she could then arrange onward transport for you, or make recommendations on getting to LP. I have lost her card, but will do a websearch and forward her details to you.

#2 Posted: 3/12/2012 - 01:07

• weiz

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

hi Rob

Thank you for your reply!

I have since returned from Nan (Feb 2012), but I didn't get to Laos.

I stayed at Bo Kluea Resort too when I was there! Nan is so beautiful. The resort is great too-- nice view, clean and big rooms and good food!

Please let me have the contacts of the lady who could arrange transport from the border. I might go over to Laos when I visit Nan again.

Thank you!!

Wei

#3 Posted: 3/12/2012 - 01:21

• robdale

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2012

Hi: Further to my earlier note, email for Jumbo guesthouse is mail@lotuselephant.com The owner is Monica. Whether she would arrange ongoing transport for you if you don't stay with her for a night, I don't know. Another alternative to Luang Prabang from Nan is a flight (Kan Air) from Nan to Chiang Mai ; three days a week I think, and then a regular Chiang Mai to LP flight, which is expensive. Going from Bo Kleau to Huay Khon is certainly more adventurous and should be cheaper in the long run. And if you have not been to LP before, it is well worth it. Magical place. Let me know if you need any further info.

#4 Posted: 3/12/2012 - 01:22

• robdale

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2012

Hi Wei:

I had not looked carefully enough at the date on your post. I saw the 3rd and thought it was today, but 3/1, not 3/12! Glad you enjoyed Bo Klua - I go there at least once a year. I love it! I always stay at Boklua View too - nice people, great food.

#5 Posted: 3/12/2012 - 01:27

• weiz

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

hey Rob, oh you go there once a year! Wow!

Could you private message me your email address? I am not familiar with Travel Fish and can't seem to find the function.
    Thanks!

#6 Posted: 3/12/2012 - 01:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Nan Province to Pak Beng to Luang Prabang ... By 2ndPathToRight on 22 Jan 2013 5 2859 2 Feb 2013
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9466 19 Aug 2011
Luang Prabang to Thailand ... By viacc65 on 13 Feb 2009 7 4640 20 Feb 2009
THAILAND TO LUANG PRABANG BY BOAT ... By JAYDIN on 30 May 2011 2 3594 14 Jun 2011
thailand to luang prabang by boat ... By JAYDIN on 30 May 2011 2 3226 1 Jun 2011
Luang Prabang, back to Thailand ... By SybilVane on 4 Apr 2009 3 1981 5 Apr 2009
The 1 Day Boat - Thailand to Luang Prabang ... By JakiDL on 16 Nov 2006 42 40491 11 Jul 2009