Flag of Laos

Laos forum

6 Nights In Laos - Stay in Luang Prabang or See Vientiane Too?

• nicoleslaw

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2012

Hello All,

I'm going to be in Laos for 6 nights in Feb. Debating between spending the whole time in Luang Prabang, or doing a night or two in Vientiane and then 4-5 nights in Luang Prabang. I'd be flying in and out of both (and between them). I could conceivably knock a day off Bangkok to be able to make it 7 nights if you all think I'd be nuts to miss Vientiane or cut my time in LP down too much... but I'd rather not.

Interest wise... seeing the temples, travel photography, a bit of culture, a bit of shopping. From LP maybe getting out to a village and waterfall day trips. I'm a 28/f travelling solo if that makes a difference.

I pre-booked a BKK Discovery Airpass without Vientiane in it, but I need to give them my $$ to make it official and I think I could change it today until I pay them. I woke up this morning with second thoughts on skipping Vientiane.

Thanks for your votes :).
    - Nicole

#1 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 12:14

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Nicole,

I've been to Luang Prabang twice now and stayed for 4 nights each time. At the end of each trip, I wished I had stayed for a bit longer.

Having said that, since you'll be transiting Vientiane anyway, I think it would be a shame to completely skip the city. What do you think will be more interesting? Your 5th or 6th night in Luang Prabang or your 1st or 2nd night in Vientiane?

Maybe stay at least one night in Vientiane to get a feel for the city. There is a good national museum there, lots of interesting small temples, and one of my favorite places in the entire country, That Luang. The Anusaouri (looks just like the Arc d'Triumph in Paris) is cool too and a great place to mingle with Lao families in the evening. Vientiane is a great spot to try out the local bakeries and have a good cup of coffee or a cold bottle of Beer Lao.

You mentioned maybe taking a day from your time in Bangkok. How many days do you have planned there? Cheers.

#2 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 13:31

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I recently spent 2 nights in Vientiane, which only really gave me a day and a half to explore. Some think that is long enough, but I do wish that I had spent more time there (maybe another 2 days).

If I were you, given the short period of time, and the costs associated with between the two cities, I would suggest just flying in/out of LP. From LP, I would then recommend taking a trip up river to Nong Khiaow for two nights or so, to see the rural side of Laos. You can take a mini-bus up to Nong Khiaow (about 3.5 hours) then take the boat back to LP (about 5-6 hours). That will give you exposure to a different, even more laid back side of Laos, you get to enjoy watching river life, etc.

You will fine in Nong Khiaow fine as a solo traveller - and it will probably be reasonably easy to meet up with others there. There won't be any shopping to be had, but you can hire a bicycle for an easy ride out into the countryside and explore a cave or two.

LP is the place for shopping - they have an excellent night market that sets up in the middle of town with all sort of reasonably priced souvenirs, textiles, etc.

#3 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 13:32

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Snap - exacto posted at the same time! Nicole, my take on your post is that you were NOT transitting through VTE? If you are, then yes, spending the time in VTE absolutely makes sense.

#4 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 13:34

• nicoleslaw

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2012

Thanks so much for the input. If I don't go to VTE, then I won't be transiting thorough there... My options are:

Siem Reap-Luang Prabang (layover in Pakse)- Bangkok
    OR
    Siem Reap-VTE (Layover in Pakse)-Luang Prabang-Bangkok

I have a couple nights on the beginning of my trip in Bangkok (when I'll be recovering from travelling for 26 hours and the jet lag), and then 4 nights on the end (which is where I could take one night off).

#5 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 14:17

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

In that case, I would suggest going with my intial idea (ie skip VTE, and perhaps check out Nong Kiaow) - just purely from a cost perspective, and the 'upriver' experience.

Are you staying over night in Pakse - or is just the 1 hour layover while the flight picks up new passengers?

#6 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 14:43

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

oops. i did think that you were already going through VTE anyway. sorry about that.

Pakse is a great town too. there aren't any real main attractions in the town, but if you are stopping there anyway, it is a great place to spend an evening and enjoy a sunset across the river. regards.

#7 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 17:41

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Personally I would spend 2 days in Vientiane . There is heaps to do and see. The shopping is better and the food is far better. Those who knock Vientiane really do not know what they are talking about.

#8 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 03:05

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey Rufus - no one was knocking VTE here!. To the contrary, I enjoyed it there and wished I was able to stay longer, as I stated above.

The reason for suggesting she stay in LP is purely on the basis of logistics and costs. Nicole only has 6 days, and to go to VTE will cost her an extra flight.

#9 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 03:09

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Would agree with busylizzy - there is more than enough in LP and the surrounds to keep you happily occupied for 6 days. Any less would be rushed. You will enjoy them lazy Beer Lao by the Mekong a lot more when you know have all that time and no internal flight to catch.

#10 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 03:32

• Advertisement

• nicoleslaw

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2012

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate the input! Between posts here and on the Lonely Planet board, it sounds like a lot of people do really like Vientiane so it sounds like I shouldn't skip it completely. I just changed my ticket...

Flying from Siem Reap to VTN, spending two nights, then to Luang Prabang for 4 nights.

Both flights get in me in to their destination mid day, so I'll get a day and a half in VTN, and three full days in Luang Prabang, plus a half day the day I arrive and a half day the day I depart (I leave at 4:00pm the day I leave).

I appreciate all of the help!

#11 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 15:54

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

What are you going to do on day 5 and day 6 in LP, BusyLizzy? Now if you suggested a side trip to Phonsavan....

#12 Posted: 5/1/2012 - 02:12

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I wouldn't suggest staying 6 nights in LP. My suggestion above was to spend a couple of nights upriver on Nong Kiaow as well to give her another type of experience aside from two large towns.

Phonsavan - I loved it! I could have easily spent another couple of nights there as well, but alas, I only spent two. I didn't suggest it to Nicole though as she only asked about VTE and LP.

Looks like she has made her decision and will be checking out VTE in the end. Enjoy it Nicole. Be sure to check out the streetside restaurants that appear at night. There's some good food to be had!

#13 Posted: 5/1/2012 - 02:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mandalay to Laos (preferably Luang Prabang, but Vientiane is ok too!) ... By Undisclosed on 27 May 2013 1 2181 29 Jun 2013
2 HONDA WIN for sale in Laos(Vientiane,Luang Prabang or VangVieng) ... By nibelra on 18 Mar 2012 0 1264 18 Mar 2012
a cool place to stay in Luang Prabang and also dirt bike trekking in Laos? ... By rapunzel on 24 Jun 2008 4 3141 16 Jul 2008
Vientiane to Luang Prabang ... By Gerry on 15 May 2008 17 9928 18 Dec 2008
Bus from Luang Prabang to Vientiane ... By Meilian1818 on 17 Apr 2007 7 17707 26 Apr 2007
Accomodation in Luang Prabang and Vientiane ... By nicoleslaw on 5 Jan 2012 3 1385 10 Jan 2012
Vientiane to Luang Prabang and back ... By babiguling on 15 Apr 2010 5 2714 16 Apr 2010
Fly to Vientiane or Luang Prabang from Hanoi??? ... By kgroarke on 27 Jun 2011 2 2966 28 Jun 2011
Walking from Vientiane to Luang Prabang ... By rossville69 on 29 Oct 2008 12 3504 11 Jun 2009
Airlines Vientiane to Luang Prabang ... By ron67 on 30 Dec 2008 1 2445 30 Dec 2008