Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Best way to travel from Bangkok to Vang Vieng?

• lewks

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2012

Hi people I am landing in Bangkok on the 22nd of march and am going to spend a couple of days there before making my way up to Vang Veing to go tubing.

I am thinking of traveling overland or water to get their and flying back and was wondering what the best way to travel overland there was and any places to stop of for a few days on the way I would like to see some of northern Thailand and other parts of Laos as well i have roughly 2 weeks to for this part of my trip! Also what would be the best way to fly back if possible at all either to Bangkok or Phuket!

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 7/1/2012 - 19:02

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Bangkok to Vang Vieng you either bus or train up to Nong Khai and cross the Friendship bridge to Vientiane and another bus north to V V OR take a train/bus up to Chiang Mai and get a bus to Chiang Khong, cross to Laos at Huay Xai and then boat/bus to Luang Prabang then another bus to V V. Laos visa on arrival at either border and easy process, but allow for delays on buses/boats, sometimes things don't go as planned.

Vang Vieng has no airport and the nearest one is Vientiane about 4 hours away. However flights aren't cheap from there. Maybe take a bus from the border to Udon Thani and grab an Air Asia flight to Phuket (book on their website and book early). That's the cheapest flight to the south by far.

#2 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 01:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Best, as defined as fastest and most comfortable, fly to Vientiane, then hite a private vehicle to take you to VV. Best as in cheapest, take the bus from Bangkok to Nong Khai , cross the border, and proceed by bus to VV. Best as in reaonably comfortable and reaosnably affordable, take the train to Nong Khai and the bus from Vientiane.

#3 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 02:07

• zephram

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2011

Isn't there currently trackwork between Udon Thani and Nong Khai? Does that mean Train (to Udon Thani) -Bus (to Nong Khai)-Train (to Thangaleng)-Bus to Vientiane?

#4 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 04:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

zephrm, the train runs all the way to Nong Khai. So you can take the train to Nong Khai, and then bus it the rest ofthe way.

#5 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 12:15

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

For 2 weeks I would follow Captain_Bob's route as follows:
    take a train/bus up to Chiang Mai and get a bus to Chiang Khong, cross to Laos at Huay Xai and then boat/bus to Luang Prabang then another bus to V V.

I always book a 2nd class aircon sleeper on the overnight train between Bangkok and Chiang Mai in preference to the bus. In 2010 I went from Chaing Mai up to Pai and then took the night van to Chiang Khong. I would take the slow boat from Huay Xai to LP (you overnight at Pakbeng) in preference to the bus. I took an aircon van from LP to VV and again from VV to Vientiane .
    I'd follow the advice given re flights out of Vientiane and take the bus to the border, cross over, then take a train/bus to Udon Thani.

#6 Posted: 31/1/2012 - 22:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Riverside Boutique Resort, Vang Vieng: #1 on TripAdvisor and first luxury hotel in Vang Vieng ... By svriverside on 16 Aug 2013 0 915 16 Aug 2013
Vang Vieng - New hotel - Villa Vang Vieng Riverside ... By charlass on 6 Jan 2011 0 4286 6 Jan 2011
Most direct way from Bangkok to Vang Vieng? ... By johnplawlor on 18 Jan 2010 5 12641 15 Dec 2011
Best route from Bangkok to Vang Vieng? ... By catherine25 on 6 Mar 2012 12 3253 17 Mar 2012
Advice needed on routing from Bangkok to Vang Vieng. ... By johnplawlor on 19 Jan 2010 0 2853 19 Jan 2010
Landslide Delaying Bus Travel Vientiane/Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang ... By wanderingcat on 23 Aug 2011 3 2917 5 Sep 2011
Vang Vieng or Vieng Xai and Phonsavan ... By coralidiote on 6 Dec 2013 2 560 13 Dec 2013
Instead of Vang Vieng... ... By JavaJunkie on 4 Feb 2010 11 5029 24 Sep 2011
vang vieng? ... By jasonkim8486 on 21 Oct 2009 1 3634 21 Oct 2009
Big Changes in Vang Vieng? ... By ehenness on 31 Aug 2012 90 16873 13 Oct 2013