Laos forum

Khong Lor river cave

• rayc101

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 5

Hi all,

Re Khong Lor river cave

I have been unsuccessful in finding advice about water levels in the cave during the wet season, and whether navigation through the cave ceases during this period.

I would appreciate some advice on going through the cave in July.

Cheers
    R

#1 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 23:41

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

There will certainly be too much water in July.

#2 Posted: 15/1/2012 - 00:32

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

I researched everything I could online in 2009 about Konglor Cave, transport etc. I did not read anyone commenting that the cave has been closed for any reason. I had intended to visit in July, 2009 but decided when I was in Vientiane to give it a miss because of the time you spend on local transport to get in there and out again plus minimum of 2 nights accom. to connect with transport.

You can always confirm with your intending accom. that the cave is open to tourists.

#3 Posted: 31/1/2012 - 22:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Stoneman
    The cave isn't "closed" - that would indicate it's being managed by some authority. As Rufus says, the water levels at the height of the rainy season can bring the river too high to access it safely.

#4 Posted: 1/2/2012 - 03:28

• rayc101

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2006

Thankyou all for your replies.
    They have been very helpful

Cheers
    R

#5 Posted: 1/2/2012 - 04:07

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

That depends. Savanakhet is certainly a lot bigger and offers a lot more than Tha Khek - which is the size of a postage stamp. The city is an atrophying mess, dusty, dirty - but it has a little bit of charm to it. Probably worth a night to break up the trip if you are not pressed for time.

#6 Posted: 1/2/2012 - 05:08

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I'm planning to go there in a couple of weeks, so any info on local transport from Thakhek would be will be useful, I'll be coming from Pakse... The area is Khammouane Limestone NBCA - There are also the Mahaxai Caves... From there I will go to Vientiane... Is Savannakhet worth a stop?

Do I stay in Ban Viang Kham, Ban Nahin or Ban Kong Lor? Ban Nahin (aka Ban Kheun Kham) - I'm confused? - lol

#7 Posted: 1/2/2012 - 05:17

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Can anyone help me on this?

#8 Posted: 3/2/2012 - 09:38

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Savannakhet is a charming and quaint place. I really like it. Stay in Tha Kek as your accommodation options are much better. It is easy to arrange transportation to the caves.

#9 Posted: 4/2/2012 - 01:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Rufus
    Tha Khek has better hotels than Savanakhet? I guess I'm a little surprised, since Tha Khek is so small.

#10 Posted: 4/2/2012 - 05:18

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.