Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Flying into Laos

• Micheal1

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2012

We wish to fly from Chamg Mai to either Luang Prabang or Vientiane, have tried Laoairlines sight but cant get any info. Can anyone help with prices and is it better to book, once we are in Thailand??
    Thanks
    Micheal

#1 Posted: 15/1/2012 - 05:57

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I'm pretty sure you have to fly back to Bangkok first. The cheapest way is to fly from Bangkok to Udon Thani, which is a short bus ride from the border just across from Vientiane.

#2 Posted: 15/1/2012 - 08:54

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

i'm pretty sure lao airlines has the monopoly on the Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang route. you can find the information you want at their website of: http://www.laoairlines.com/

this flight used to be a pretty good value, but as demand as skyrocketed over the past several years, so has the cost of the flight. i don't think it is any cheaper to book once you've arrived in thailand, and the longer you wait there is a chance you won't get the flight date you want, but maybe Captain Bob or Rufus can help you with specifics on price.

i've ready several complaints about a travel agent website trying to look like the official lao airlines site, so make sure before you book.

there's an older article on Travelfish about lao airlines that might help you as well, which also includes a link to the official lao airlines website. it is at http://www.travelfish.org/feature/50

regards

#3 Posted: 15/1/2012 - 16:03

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Lao Airlines flies the Chiang Mai Luang Prabang route. They are a good regional airline. This route, as Exacto points out, is very popular, so you would be advised to book ahead.

#4 Posted: 15/1/2012 - 18:14

• Micheal1

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2012

Many thanks to all, we will probably do the Chaing Mai to Udon Thani Trip and then to Vientiane. Loaairlines did finally reply to my email to them and it is $163.00 from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang, which is fairly steep.
    We are trying to adopt the "lets not hurry attitude", so dont want to have to book to far ahead.
    Again Thank you.I will probably have a few more questions!!!!
    Micheal

#5 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 06:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I get a kick out of watching Laos Airlines fly over my house every day. Their final approach brings them in at around 300 feet as they pass overhead and they are flying a turbo-prop (not sure of the model). But it's small, and evokes a little nostaligia in me. The problem for taking it to Bangkok is the cost of the flight plus the associated visa fees. It's more than ten times the cost of a bus ticket. As much as I despise the bus, I can't justify it. Airports about a mile from my house as the crow flies...

#6 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 10:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.