Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Luang Prabang accommodation

• stevewilkes

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2012

Any recommendations on good guest houses for LP for a five day stop over. Were flying in on the 2nd February.

What are the must see's of LP and places to eat?

#1 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 15:36

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

The must sees are whatever interests you. What interests me may be boring to you. Get a good guidbook and read it.
    A good gh is Muong Lao Riverside.

#2 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 18:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Go to S Bar on Wednesday night. Salsa night there!

#3 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 04:37

• tf_geckozy

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2008

There are so many Ghs in Luang Prabang today and finding a good Gh is one more pleasure for you so please find it for yourself with no helping by others for avoiding complainig to someone who recommend if/when it's no good(no good room, no good service etc) to you.

#4 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 15:39

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

tf_geckozy - that's not very helpful! That's what the forum is all about - getting recommendations and info from others so that someone has a better chance of avoiding the crap places!

Anyhow Steve.... what's your budget in terms of guesthouses? I stayed in Lao Wooden House for $25/night which I thought was really nice (It's listed here in the LP Accom section and I've posted about it elsewhere so do a search...) But it really depends on your budget.

There are so many places to eat that it would be hard to recommend any. I found some good ones along the riverfront that were reasonable and generally did good food - but couldn't tell you the names?!

#5 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 17:48

• stevewilkes

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2012

Busy lizzy
    many thanks for the support and the forum has been invaluable. Have a budget of about 20 dollars for LP and less for the rest of the trip around Laos. Going Luang Namtha, Muang Sing, Down the Nam Ou river staying the villages enroute back to LP. Then a week in the South of Laos.

#6 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 16:47

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Check out 'Chansavang Guest house'

They have private bungalows round the back for less than $20.00 USD. I can't remember exactly but mayhaps around 100,000 - 120,000 kip.

I can vouch for the staff here and had no trouble with security over 8 weeks living there.

Good location too. Far enough away from the main street while close walking distance to everything. It is kind of near L'Stranger Bookshop or Hive Bar - I think one of those should be on the TF map online. If you do stay there, I can direct you to some good places to eat too.

#7 Posted: 20/1/2012 - 06:55

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

The best thing I did in LP was ... rent a bike.

#8 Posted: 20/1/2012 - 06:57

• keepontrave-
    llin

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2012

We stayed at GH Sakharinh. Plain but very clean, very friendly and very central. Also has the best noodle stall in LP at top of street.

My recommendation for things to do in LP is to do a course run by Ok Top Pop. We did Hmong batik and had such a fun morning.

Another thing is Lao cooking at TamNakLao.

Best place to eat is by the river - numerous little places but you'll soon identify a favourite or two.

#9 Posted: 20/1/2012 - 15:10

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"Another thing is Lao cooking at TamNakLao."
    Perhaps you mean Tamnak Lao?

#10 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 01:50

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

And, of course, don't forget the Karaoke - a staple of life in SEA.

#11 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 03:00

• stevewilkes

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2012

Sounds great. were going to definetly hire out a motorbike or push bike. Do a cookery course. Watch the sunset/sunrise from the hill and go for a walk across the river at chomphet.

Is the plain of jars worth a visit? Where off to laos next week and my itinerary is still very flexible. Vang Vieng? yes or no. Can I get more detailed maps of laos at L'estranger book shop?

#12 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 00:42

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Hmmmm. "And, of course, don't forget the Karaoke - a staple of life in SEA."
    Karaokes here might give him a bit of a surprise, especially in the VIP rooms.

#13 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 18:16

• stevewilkes

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2012

VIP rooms?? Please do tell, im intrigued??

#14 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 00:47

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Luang Prabang has all prices of accommodations. I think I was very lucky because both places I stayed were very nice. Manichan GH was excellent (fantastic breakfast) and the cheaper Souksavath GH (behind JOMA bakery) was very nice, clean and friendly. No need to spend big on those overpriced hotels - who spends time in their rooms in LP, anyway?

When it comes to food, this town is full of good places. Only bad place I found was the Coconut Restaurant. Try the Scandinavian Bakery for the best pizza. JOMA Bakery has American breakfasts.

#15 Posted: 30/1/2012 - 13:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"VIP rooms?? Please do tell, im intrigued??"

I call it the elephant in the room daawgon. The thing here everyone doesn't talk about, but it's extremely visible all the time. Prostitution. It's a deeply rooted part of the culture in these parts. A relatively new culutral phenomenon is Karaoke. THAT has taken Asia by storm. It's equally ubiquitous. Not surprisingly, they formed an unholy union so Karaoke bars are quite often used as fronts for prostitution. But you can go to a Karaoke place that has prostitutes and still just do the music thing. Or you can do it in the company of a lady and do nothing more than buy her a drink and talk. Or you can buy her out of the bar... I don't know the deal on VIP rooms - but your imagination should be able to work it out from the above.

Rufus, you'd better give him the caution concerning this phenomenon in Laos however!

#16 Posted: 30/1/2012 - 22:08

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

It is relatively safe in Vientiane.

#17 Posted: 31/1/2012 - 18:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Relatively safe in that he could partake and not be arrested, or relatively safe in that the VIP karaoke bars are free from working girls? Savanakhet, or so I've been told, the gestapo are out in force checking for naughty foreigners with Laos girls.

#18 Posted: 31/1/2012 - 21:19

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

"Can I get more detailed maps of laos at L'estranger book shop?"

Don't know about the shop, but Hobomaps has excellent maps online for all the major stops in Laos - I believe they are the same as the hard copy ones in the stores?

#19 Posted: 2/2/2012 - 13:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Accommodation in Luang Prabang ... By Loretta on 25 Jul 2009 3 2648 4 Aug 2009
Luang Prabang - accommodation ... By emma066 on 16 Mar 2010 3 2031 17 Mar 2010
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9375 19 Aug 2011