Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Night temperature?

• GermanCoast-
    girl

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2011

Hi there,
    I will be in Laos (VTE,VV and LP) in Feb and was just checking weather.com to get in the right mood.
    BUT then I saw that currently the night temperature in LP goes down to 4 C??
    Is that really true? I planned on taking one pair of jeans and a hoodie as long clothes but did not think of taking warm clothes esp. for the night for me and my boy.

Can you please advise? I suppose most of the hotels just have sheets.... will I freeze then??
    Please note: I am a girl! ;-))))

Thanks for some remarks,
    Birgit

#1 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 14:09

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Everywhere I stayed in Northern Laos also offered a heavy blanket that kept me warm enough in the small room. With two of you underneath the covers it should be fine.

I was there a few February ago - and didn't have much problem at night with a long sleeve t-shirt. However, as I moved north I was happy to have my jeans and a fleece to pull on. Jeans usually don't need to be washed for a few days, so one pair should be fine - as well, just think to add one or two long sleeve shirts to put on under your hoody or wear as sleeping top.

#2 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 04:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Casey, they might not be in the room in the evening!!! Come on hombre...

Yes, bring a decent jacket. It gets chilly here at night during February.

BTW what is a "hoodie"???

#3 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 12:18

• shambles

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2011

Madmac a hoodie is a sweatshirt or jersey with a hood .......

#4 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 13:45

• GermanCoast-
    girl

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2011

Hahaha, funny !

Is "Hoodie" not the correct word for it? As you can tell, I am not a native speaker and probably that word was just invented by us? ;-) Like we say "Handy" when we talk about "Mobiles" feeling cool 'cause it sounds English. ;-)))

Nevertheless, thanks for the comments. I will take one more long sleeve and take my little boy as a hot-water bag .... ;-)

I just didn't think it would be THAT cold. Same temperature we have here at the moment...brrrr.

Cheers!

#5 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 14:34

• shambles

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2011

Hoodie is used in NZ, Aus and uk. I can't actually think of another word for it.

I was there a couple of years ago and my partner was there last year. LP, VV and Vientiane

The only time we got really cold was on the slow boat.

At night in LP I wore jeans and a Light hoodie or jersey.

If you had a light weight jacket maybe a puffer jacket that would be good.

#6 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 16:39

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

The cool weather seems to have disappeared already. The last few days have been warm to hot.

#7 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 18:16

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Rufus, I don't know about Vientiane, but it got cold here again last night. Not brutal cold, but around 15 degrees...

#8 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 20:57

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Maybe I was lucky when I was in Northern Laos in January a couple of years back, but I don't remember being cold at all. Maybe the cheap whisky took the edge off.

#9 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 22:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

The coldest it has been here since I lived here was six degrees celsius. My house isn't heated, and once the cold was absorbed, the place was freezing. But it seldom goes below ten degrees here. Can't speak for Northern Laos or Northern Thailand, but I'll be Rufus can.

#10 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 02:48

• Advertisement

• GermanCoast-
    girl

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2011

Instead of taking a sweater from home... will I have the chance to buy a decent one in LP? I know about Shirts but what about hoodies, sweaters...?

Maybe a stupid question but I prefer asking.... ;-)

#11 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 15:01

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

You can buy it all here but it's usually lighter than what you're probably used to.
    Madmac...We have became aclimated to the weather. I used to chuckle at the Thais for being cold on what seemed to me then as a perfect day. Now I put something on with the rest of them. :) Have you seen any kind of a heater in this country?
    What's a "puffer" jacket?

#12 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 17:46

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

You won't be able to buy a jumper in Luang Prabang. You can buty that sort of clothing in Vientiane, espcecially at ITEC, but then even only in the colder months. A light cardigan will suffice.

#13 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 18:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"A light cardigan will suffice."

Unless you're riding at night. Man it gets nippy then! I froze my cajones off last night.

#14 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 21:21

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Speaking in a soprano voice now, Mac?

#15 Posted: 26/1/2012 - 04:31

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

A few more nights like that and I will be.

#16 Posted: 26/1/2012 - 05:32

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

It's a strange winter here in Phnom Penh too.A week ago you needed a blanket.This week the weather has been unusually hot for the time of year.Still I think it makes sense to carry a thin jacket in case it returns to normality.

#17 Posted: 26/1/2012 - 07:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.