Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Skip the north, doing only the South ?

• 3drazor

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2011

Hello,
    i'm currently planning a second trip to Laos and Cambodia.
    As i have already seen the big hitters, i'm planning to see something new, possibly more rural than the last time (best thing of the last trip was Nong Kiaow ) and thats where i'm a bit stuck with my intinerary.
    At first my plan looked like this:
    Go to Chiang Rai, spend some days there, go over to Laos and spend maybe 4-5 nights in northern Laos (Luang Namtha province), doing some sightseeing with a scooter (Muang Sing, Boten, villages), maybe doing even some trekking (i'm not so much into these treks, where they lead to a village, that sees thousands of travellers over the year). After that, i planed to fly to Vientiane , rent a trailbike and go to the south with the trail bike, ticking of "The Loop" on my way, spending one or two lazy days in Savannakett, going further to Pakze, do a big loop in the Bolavan Plateau and even to Champasak. After that, off to Cambodia, to do some more biking in the far north (Ban Lung).
    No i begin to wonder, if i would repeat things here. I guess there are nice mountains in Luang Namtha (can they challenge Nong Kiaow ?) to see, but there are probably also in the South at the Bolaven Plateau and in North Cambodia. So, to get to the point: Should i skip the 5 days in the north, cross directly from Thailand to Vientiane and do my motorbike trip and better spend the time elsewhere (Cambodia ?, 4000 islands came also to my mind, maybe spending a lazy day in Nong Khai before crossing to Laos) ? My time in Laos is a bit limited to may 17 to 18 nights, thats why i have to cut somewhere, even if it hurts.
    Btw: I know that 17 to 18 nights is still a bit "short" and that i will travel a lot, but i like to travel by bike, i can ride a whole day and feel good. I'm usally even getting bored with a place, when i stay for to long.

#1 Posted: 26/1/2012 - 15:01

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I spent three weeks around Pakse , Bolaven, 4,000 Islands and included a short trip up to Savannakett and Mukdahan. That also includes travel from BKK and back, all overland. So I think your idea to cut out the north isn't a bad thought.

I think an ideal schedule for the are around Pakse would be a night in Pakse, 7 nights on the Bolaven, 2 nights Champask, and maybe 3 nights 4,000 islands. Include time going in and out of Pakse and I think 14 nights isn't a bad plan. So if you are entering at Vientiane and spending some time getting down to Pakse I think that works.

I've been to Laos twice and still haven't made it to Luang Nam Tha area, but don't mind that as it gives me an excuse to day-dream a third visit.

#2 Posted: 27/1/2012 - 00:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 weeks taking it easy: skip South and Central Vietnam? ... By saranneman on 31 Dec 2012 3 2294 3 Jan 2013