Flag of Laos

Laos forum

1 month rough itinerary, what am I missing?

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

Hello everyone, my girlfriend and I are traveling Laos for a month from mid-march to mid-april. We've done quite a bit of research, on this site and forum and beyond, but we wanted to ask the gracious members of the forum for further advice.

A bit about us, we're in the backpacker budget range looking to spend about $1,000 USD/person for the month. We're very active, looking for exciting treks, and a mix of on and off the beaten trail stuff. We're going to hit up the usual stuff, unless there's something to be avoided in favor of something better. I drive motorbike, and can speak Thai and a bit of Issan Laos so we're not afraid to go off on our own.

Ok, here's the places we've keyed in on. We'd appreciate if you'd recommend a better place, or think the place isn't worth the stop.
    Slow boat to LP, north to Nong Kiaow, Phongsali for a trek? (heard it's less touristy than Luang Namtha), Plain of Jars (1 day), quick stop in Savanakhet, Pakse, motorbike loop through Salavan, Sekong, and Tad Lo, before ending with some chill time in 4,000 islands.

Suggestions? We would consider flying north to South to avoid the long bus from VN, but not sure if it's necessary because we're stopping off to see Savanakhet. Thank you TF community!

#1 Posted: 10/2/2012 - 04:42

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Flying would be pricey, and given your budget and the fact that you want to see Savanakhet anyway, I'd say suck it up and take the bus. Have a good trip.

#2 Posted: 10/2/2012 - 08:45

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Agree with Madmac. I'd fit in Champasak between the Bolaven loop and 4,000 islands. It's a nice place to stop for two nights. I imagine you've already been to Luang Prabang (as it is isn't in your itinerary)?

#3 Posted: 11/2/2012 - 00:15

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

I'll be taking the slow boat from Chiang Kong to Luang Prabang. I'm excited for that to be my landing point in Laos.

Champasak eh? I was wondering if it was worth a stop on the way further south. I'd like to see Wat Phu, but wasn't sure if there was much more beyond that than a sleepy Laos town. Thanks for the advice guys.

#4 Posted: 11/2/2012 - 06:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Rough Six Month Itenerary: Thoughts, advice? ... By kbs84 on 13 Apr 2011 3 3205 13 Apr 2011
5 month trip - rough route advice needed ! ... By nickolt on 28 Oct 2010 7 3076 6 Nov 2010
rough itinerary ... By ricardo4 on 27 Sep 2013 6 1336 30 Sep 2013
SE Asia rough itinerary ... By aimbat19 on 28 Sep 2010 6 2493 26 Oct 2010