Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Companions needed: Nong Khiaw to Luang Prabang 3 day kayak trip

Posted by jemmaremma on 27/2/2012 at 04:24

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi all!
I'm thinking about doing a 3 day kayak trip from Nong Khiaw to Luang Prabang in the first week of march and am looking for people to come with and split the cost!!

For 3 people its $190 per person and for 4 is $180. this is with the tour operator Green Discovery. The iteniary is as follows:

Three full days enjoying the scenery and life of the river.

This itinerary is on and about the river. We leave at 8.00 by kayaks and head downstream. Shortly after departing, the river separates from the town and road, us separating from civilization. For the next 24 hours we will see few signs of civilization and lots of stunning cliffs.
We keep paddling, until late afternoon, when it becomes time to set up our camp. We’ll find an appropriate sand bank where our guide set up a tent and camp fire for cooking.

The next morning we wake up early to feel the chill of the morning. Coffee over a camp fire on a sand bank with mist between the mountains just tastes different. We get back on the water and continue downstream. Another day, another camp, another lunch and dinner in the open.

On the third day we reach Pak Ou, where the Nam Ou meets the Mekong. Here we carry the kayaks up to the waiting truck and get a transfer to Luang Prabang by minibus.

If you're interested in this then please let me know, or if you know of a cheaper option then I'd be keen to hear about that as well!

Thanks!

#1 jemmaremma has been a member since 13/10/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by Pippi on 27/1/2014 at 00:49

Hi,
I know this is an old message but I'm hoping you may be able to give us some advice.
We are thinking to take the same kayaking trip.
Did you end up doing it?
If so, can you tell me how long you were kayaking each day?
And, is the kayaking hard, like how are the rapids etc?

Thanks
Any advice is appreciated

#2 Pippi has been a member since 27/1/2014. Posts: 2

Posted by busylizzy on 28/1/2014 at 04:17

If the river along this stretch is closed to boats now, I would assume that you can't kayak it either...?

Refer to comments (Post #9 onward) and links in this thread: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/20695_boat-logistics-from-luang-prabang-to-nong-khiaw-

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Pippi on 31/1/2014 at 08:35

Nope, you can still kayak it. Just no public boats.
Just finished three amazing days on the Nam Ou, such a beautiful trip. The dam is not finished yet so you can still kayak through, I think it will be a year till its done. When finished you will still be able to kayak but must portage around it.

Go now if you have the chance, it's awesome.
We went with Laos Outdoor Adventures, pretty new company I think.
Our guide was Teng, he does freelance so works for multiple companies. He was brilliant.

Cheers, P.

#4 Pippi has been a member since 27/1/2014. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.