Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Companions needed: Nong Khiaw to Luang Prabang 3 day kayak trip

• jemmaremma

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi all!
    I'm thinking about doing a 3 day kayak trip from Nong Khiaw to Luang Prabang in the first week of march and am looking for people to come with and split the cost!!

For 3 people its $190 per person and for 4 is $180. this is with the tour operator Green Discovery. The iteniary is as follows:

Three full days enjoying the scenery and life of the river.

This itinerary is on and about the river. We leave at 8.00 by kayaks and head downstream. Shortly after departing, the river separates from the town and road, us separating from civilization. For the next 24 hours we will see few signs of civilization and lots of stunning cliffs.
    We keep paddling, until late afternoon, when it becomes time to set up our camp. We’ll find an appropriate sand bank where our guide set up a tent and camp fire for cooking.

The next morning we wake up early to feel the chill of the morning. Coffee over a camp fire on a sand bank with mist between the mountains just tastes different. We get back on the water and continue downstream. Another day, another camp, another lunch and dinner in the open.

On the third day we reach Pak Ou, where the Nam Ou meets the Mekong. Here we carry the kayaks up to the waiting truck and get a transfer to Luang Prabang by minibus.

If you're interested in this then please let me know, or if you know of a cheaper option then I'd be keen to hear about that as well!

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 04:24

• Advertisement

• Pippi

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2014

Hi,
    I know this is an old message but I'm hoping you may be able to give us some advice.
    We are thinking to take the same kayaking trip.
    Did you end up doing it?
    If so, can you tell me how long you were kayaking each day?
    And, is the kayaking hard, like how are the rapids etc?

Thanks
    Any advice is appreciated

#2 Posted: 27/1/2014 - 00:49

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

If the river along this stretch is closed to boats now, I would assume that you can't kayak it either...?

Refer to comments (Post #9 onward) and links in this thread: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/20695_boat-logistics-from-luang-prabang-to-nong-khiaw-

#3 Posted: 28/1/2014 - 04:17

• Pippi

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2014

Nope, you can still kayak it. Just no public boats.
    Just finished three amazing days on the Nam Ou, such a beautiful trip. The dam is not finished yet so you can still kayak through, I think it will be a year till its done. When finished you will still be able to kayak but must portage around it.

Go now if you have the chance, it's awesome.
    We went with Laos Outdoor Adventures, pretty new company I think.
    Our guide was Teng, he does freelance so works for multiple companies. He was brilliant.

Cheers, P.

#4 Posted: 31/1/2014 - 08:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Nong Kiau Guest House - Nong Khiaw - Luang Prabang ... By redmill on 14 Mar 2007 3 13406 2 Dec 2008
Muang Khua - Nong Khiaw - Luang Prabang ... By navilink on 24 Apr 2012 3 4019 19 May 2012
Boat logistics from Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw. ... By DSawyer on 9 Jan 2013 20 3775 18 Mar 2014
Luggage on the boat from Nong Khiaw to Luang Prabang? ... By glomer on 5 Oct 2010 0 2322 5 Oct 2010
Nong Khiaw to Luang Prabang via Vieng Kham and Pak Xeng ... By eljefe on 19 Jan 2011 4 3758 11 Mar 2013
Herbal steam & massage - Nong Khiaw and Luang Prabang ... By penny101 on 21 Jan 2010 0 4269 21 Jan 2010
Luang Nam Tha or Nong Khiaw ?? ... By Undisclosed on 4 Jan 2013 3 2192 15 Jan 2013
Transport from Nong Khiaw to Luang Namtha ... By lakyw on 26 Aug 2010 2 4550 27 Dec 2011
luang prabang questions - bike, kayak, etc. ... By cjigga on 8 Dec 2009 7 3578 6 Jan 2010
Luang Namtha + Muang Sing or Nong Khiaw + Muang Ngoi Neua ... By kondrah on 16 Apr 2013 4 2087 24 Apr 2013