Flag of Laos

Laos forum

URGENT! Get Typhoid shot in Laos/Thailand?

• achoo

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2012

Hey!

I am currently in Chiang Khong and need to get a shot for Typhoid (I've never taken it). Does anybody know of any place around the area or in Laos were I can get a Typhoid shot?

Thank you!

(FYI I wasn't planning on going to Laos at first but I sort of ended up heading there anyway. I forgot I need this vaccine as well.)

#1 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 08:15

• Advertisement

• achoo

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2012

I called the Chiang Khong Hospital and they said they don't have the vaccine. They said the closest vaccination place is in Chiang Rai. I think it sounds strange since it's such a common disease in the area.

Anybody know of any other places around Chiang Khong?

#2 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 09:40

• BrettC

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2012
    Location United States

Chiang Rai is the closest thing to a major city you've got near Chiang Khong. If you really don't want to lose the day, you could probably get one in Luang Prabang.

It's worth pointing out though, vaccines don't provide instant immunity. They take between several days and a couple weeks to have full effect, which is why you're encouraged to get them before you go.

#3 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 15:12

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

The French clinic in Vientiane can help you with this.

#4 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 20:34

• achoo

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2012

The French clinic in Vientiane only had one dose left (they get it in stock again in april/may). Fortunately they had the vaccine at the Chiang Mai Ram Hospital so I went there.

None of the Chiang Rai hospitals I called had it (not even the 700 bed government hospital). They told me it's unusual to have it in stock because Thai people are normally immune anyway.

Thank you for you replies.

#5 Posted: 22/3/2012 - 09:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.