Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Iteneray Advice

• GetOutOfFLo-
    rida

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2012

Heading to SE Asia for 3 weeks with my girlfriend and looking to see the best sights. I realize we are "flying" through, but we don't get enough vacation time. She wants Halong Bay, I want Luang Prabang and we both want Bangkok and Angkor.

Is there anything here that stands out good or bad? We want to see breathtaking beauty and cool sites. I am a history buff and she loves nature. She would like to exchange a flight for a cruise somewhere, but I don't see how to possibly do this.

Thanks for any feedback.....

Arrive Bangkok
    Bangkok
    Bangkok
    Bangkok
    Bangkok
    Leave from Phnom Penh --Thai Air
    Phnom Penh
    Leave for Siem Reap --(bus) Mekong Express
    Siem Reap
    Siem Reap
    Leave for Luang Prabang --Lao Avaition
    Luang Prabang
    Luang Prabang
    Leave for Vientiane --Lao Avaition
    Vientaine
    Leave for Hanoi --Lao Avaition
    Hanoi
    Hanoi
    Hanoi
    Leave for Bangkok --Thai Air
    Leave for Home

#1 Posted: 29/3/2012 - 19:38

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'd take days out of BKK and add them somewhere else.

#2 Posted: 29/3/2012 - 20:27

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Yes I agree - take 1 day from your Bkk itinerary.

#3 Posted: 29/3/2012 - 20:52

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

third that

#4 Posted: 29/3/2012 - 21:00

• GetOutOfFLo-
    rida

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2012

Thanks for the Feedback.
    The reason I have us in Bangkok for four days is I wanted to spend two of them outside the city; one day at Ayutthaya and one day in Kanchanaburi (spelling on both?)
    With those two day tours, is that still too much time in Bangkok?

We also wanted to do the elephant village tour in Laos as well as a Kung Su Falls and Pak Ou Caves tour in the two days we were there.

Can anyone recommend any good tours in any of these cities (or close by)?

#5 Posted: 30/3/2012 - 06:51

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

As "rushed" itineraries go, I have seen worse than this one.

Why go to PP for one day? Check out a Bangkok-SR direct flight or overnight bus/train.

I would add a day or two to Siem Reap.

You can fly direct from LP to Hanoi with Vietnam Airlines. This would give you more time in LP - recommended, i.e. minimum 4 days.

I have no info on the two day trips you are proposing from BKK so cant help there sorry.

Say 17 days excl. travel

BKK - 3/4
    SR - 3/4
    LP - 5
    Hanoi - 4

#6 Posted: 30/3/2012 - 08:16

• GetOutOfFLo-
    rida

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2012

Thanks again for the feedback.

So you don't think seeing Vientiane or Phnom Penh are worth going to for 2 days/1 night?

Are domestic flights time consuming?

The flights only show that they take an hour from Veintiane to Luang Prabang and I could fly from Phnom Penh to Angkor in under an hour as well....

#7 Posted: 30/3/2012 - 15:54

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Vientiane is definitely worth 2 days and I would suggest that anyone who argues the contrary does not know the city at all. There is heaps to do and see.
    Vientiane to LP is about 40 minutes flying time.

#8 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 00:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I agree with Rufus - all capital cities have something going for them in some way, shape or form (assuming we call Rangoon Burma's capital). Vientiane is a growing city and dubtless and interesting place. And since Rufus lives there, he knows the ground for sure.

#9 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 00:40

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I think the point is that there is a lot of travel time here - with the time to get to the airports, wait for the planes, get into the next city and get checked in you lose at least half a day with each location change. The point is that you may enjoy yourself more if you take a few spots to focus on. I'm not sure how your budget is but you are paying a lot for a lot of flights and visas, to get a short sample of each place. I'd second guess the day trips from BKK as they will just add more time on a bus and less time in places like LP and Vientiane and PP if you want a nicer pace. Once you've done this trip you'll have an idea which country you like most and can come back to Thailand for a longer stay and check out the environs of BKK and other areas - perhaps the same could go for seeing Luang Prabang and skipping Vientiane.

#10 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 02:56

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

So you don't think seeing Vientiane or Phnom Penh are worth going to for 2 days/1 night?

I think both Vientiane and PP definitely have their charms and would recommend seeing them if you had more time. However, inevitably when it comes to holiday planning you will have to pick and choose given time constraints. Given that you are allowing 4 days in Laos I think that would be best spent entirely in LP rather than jumping around the place to go to Vientiane. LP is a very chilled type of place and I would suggest that you will not enjoy having to elave after 2 days.

Vientiane is definitely worth 2 days and I would suggest that anyone who argues the contrary does not know the city at all. There is heaps to do and see.

I wouldn't dispute that whatsoever - again, as I've said above, when you're on limited time you have to prioritise. If the OP loves LP, then he can make it his business to come back to Laos some day to experience Vientiane and the remainder in a more relaxed fashion.

#11 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 04:04

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I second chinarocks on the last points.

It's about choices and I'd make the same choice. Rather 4 chilled days in LP than 2 in LP and 2 in Vientiane if I had such a short holiday.
    Same goes for PP vs Siem Reap.

It's different of course if OP's main interest is contemporary culture and/or social (night)life.

#12 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 06:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"It's different of course if OP's main interest is contemporary culture and/or social (night)life."

Man, this hits the nail on the head.

#13 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 07:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.