Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai Flight

Posted by plew10 on 11/4/2012 at 12:08

Looking into a flight from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai on Lao Airlines. Anyone have an idea how full these planes generally get? We'd like to keep our plans somewhat flexible so don't really want to book too far ahead. If anyone has done this last minute before, how close did you get before booking?

Also, if we did wait, might a travel agent in Luang Prabang give a cheaper rate than the website? Current fare is $150/person.

Thanks in advance!

#1 plew10 has been a member since 4/1/2010. Posts: 20

Posted by busylizzy on 11/4/2012 at 14:57

I don't know about that route, but found it OK to book a Luang Prabang - Pakse flight at last minute. In terms of costs, I found that all the agents in LP matched the fares offered on Laos Air's website - I couldn't find it discounted anywhere.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by plew10 on 11/4/2012 at 21:05

Thanks busylizzy...thats good to know!

#3 plew10 has been a member since 4/1/2010. Posts: 20

Posted by Captain_Bob on 15/4/2012 at 04:45

The cheapest I've ever seen that flight is $140 and that was from an agent in LP in low season. $150 is still very good, and it generally goes up to around $180 in high season. No guarantees of available last-minute seating but as long as it's not during some major Lao holiday period or Chrismas / New Year you'll probably find a seat a few days in advance.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,871

Posted by captainbkk on 15/4/2012 at 07:05

to add to my usually very well informed namesake & motosy addict-yes, I have met him in his wifes shop there in ChMai:Holidays do not matter very much, but TOURGROUPS do-just like they do on the BKK-SReap sector on BKK-airway: the planes are small, so a larger group can take up a lot of seats.
Think of Japanese, Koreans etc. His price quotes are to the point, and no, Lao is not a newstyle airline with varying fares- just like a bus in fact.

#5 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.