Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Muang Khua - Nong Khiaw - Luang Prabang

Posted by navilink on 24/4/2012 at 09:24

Just wanted to check on these route. My findings are that :
Muang Khua - Nong Khiaw - 1 day boat ride
Nong Khiaw - Luang Prabang - 1 day boat ride / x hours bus

Now question is are they daily transports between these places now? I read you'll need to fill up boat in order to start journey. I'll be going in May (non-peak season).

Anyone done this route before hope you can share, thanks!

#1 navilink has been a member since 14/3/2012. Posts: 11

Posted by busylizzy on 24/4/2012 at 14:58

The trip from Non Khiaw to Luang Prabang was about a 5.5 hr boat ride, or 4 hr mini-bus ride. I'd recommend the boat ride - it's very pleasant and reasonably comfortable if you can score a car seat on the boat as opposed to the wooden plank.

I did the trip last October which was also low-season and there were several boatloads of people then, so I don't think there will be an issue in whether or not the boat goes. And they were running daily at that time.

Sorry, I don't know about the Muang Khua route.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by navilink on 27/4/2012 at 11:19

Seems like Nong Khiaw have quite a lot of tourists recently judging from what you said. From Nong Khiaw to Luang Prabang I probably take bus, as from Muang Khua to Nong Khiaw can only take boat. I heard can stop by Muang Ngoi also for overnight before continue to Nong Khiaw.
And the route from Muang Ngoi to Nong Khiaw can be walked/trekked.

#3 navilink has been a member since 14/3/2012. Posts: 11

Posted by stoneman on 19/5/2012 at 06:57

June 2010 I was interested in taking the boat to LP. I walked down to where the boat leaves from. At that time they had a notice outside the office where you could put your name down. I guess if they got enough names they would run a boat. I didn't bother. The next morning I walked to where the minbus departs and bought a ticket.

Same deal when I was in Vang Vieng. My first option was the minibus/kayak/minibus to Vientiane. Put your name down, come back in the morning and find out. When it comes to transport in SEA I always go for the sure thing. Once again, I took the minibus option.

#4 stoneman has been a member since 8/5/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 100

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.