Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Itinerary for Laos and Thailand

• Jenn80

Joined Travelfish
    18th April, 2012
    Location Australia

Hi all, I'm in Patong at the moment and my visa is nearly up so am hopping over to Laos. A friend is coming here to meet me on Sunday then we fly to Udon Thani Monday the 30th April and then onto nong khai for the night and cross friendship bridge in the morning. We woul like a bit of time in Laos but we would also like to come back to Thai and go to koh Samui and Koh Phangan we have to be back in Patong by the 14th May. Can anyone suggest an itinerary for us that includes a lot of fun, adventure and nightlife coupled with a little sightseeing and relaxation?
    Any advice much appreciated

#1 Posted: 26/4/2012 - 21:52

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Nightlife in Laos? I'd ask Rufus what is going on in Vientiane . Does Luang Prabang still have the bowling alley, because that was the only thing open past midnight when I was there a few years back. Laos isn't really known for its nightlife - if you've got 17 days for Laos and Samui/Phangan, you don't really want to go too far into Laos.

Probably just spend a couple nights in Vientiane to see how the night life is there, then if you're looking for a wild time take the bus to Vang Vieng for the tubing and backpacker scene for a couple nights - end with a few nights in Luang Prabang with assorted day trips to the surrounding area, maybe 9 - 10 nights total and then still have a week for Samui/Phangan. If you want to extend your stay in Laos probably a good bet would be to take a bus north to Nong Kiaow, spend the night there and then the next morning take the boat and 1hr ride up to Muang Ngoi, which has a bit of a backpacker scene going on.

#2 Posted: 26/4/2012 - 23:32

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Keep in mind you only get 15 days free when you return to Thailand by land. Khong Lor Cave/and staying in the village is a must see in my opinion.

#3 Posted: 27/4/2012 - 07:13

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

All the kids go to Vang Vieng to party, plus it has some great scenery and outdoor activities (just don't drink too many buckets and kill yourself like many do every year). Be aware that you only get a 15-day visa exempt entry back into Thailand, unless you go to the Thai consulate in Vientiane and get a proper tourist visa. Then you get a 60-day entry extendable 30 more days.

#4 Posted: 28/4/2012 - 22:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.