Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Entering Laos from Vietnam - Money Issues

• lobstermage

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2007

Hi!

So, my friend and I are planning a trip in Southeast Asia this summer, and our plan is to visit Laos after we're done in Vietnam.

I am currently living outside of the US, so I have not even set eyes upon US currency in paper form in almost an entire year.

So, I'm wondering - what are the odds of being able to find a place to convert Vietnamese Dong to Lao Kip? And, is it popular to survive in Laos without any Baht or Dollars?

#1 Posted: 13/4/2007 - 15:48

• Advertisement

• lobstermage

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2007

An additional question - is it a particularly bad idea to attempt to cross overland from Vietnam to Laos? My initial plan was to go overland, but I'm planning flying instead.

#2 Posted: 13/4/2007 - 15:49

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You'll be able to change currency at or near the border crossing. While you could get by without USD or THB in laos, theose currencies are handy just to keep the bulk down.

Not a bad idea to use land crossings - just time consuming. See the Border crossing FAQ for more info.

#3 Posted: 13/4/2007 - 17:31

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Somtam, you are probably not aware that the Laos government is encouraging pricing in Kip rather than US$ or Baht. How effective this is remains to be seen. Most big ticket items will still be in dollars, of course.
    Incidentally this is a move of which I wholeheartedly approve. The Kip is the official currency and it should be used.

#4 Posted: 22/4/2007 - 13:06

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Rufus,

While I agree with you that in an ideal situation we'd all just use Kip in Laos, the practicalities remain that it is far easier to travel around with a couple of hundred in US or baht than a three inches of Kip. Plus there can be difficulties exchanging surplus kip outside Laos.

We list Laos accommodation prices according to what the guesthouse tells our researcher when they show up -- if the guesthouse gives out the price in Kip, that's what we list, dollars, we show dollars, baht in baht -- as you may have seen -- the vast majority price themselves in dollars, so the Lao govt has their work cut out!

#5 Posted: 22/4/2007 - 18:21

• fotosbydavid

Joined Travelfish
    20th March, 2009

FYI - Don't take Dong into Laos, the exchange rate is bad to say the least. As I write this the exchange rate quoted on XE.xom for Dong to Kip is .48 (which is consistent if you first converted it to dollars and then to kip). The exchange rate at the bank in Luang Prabang is .37 or 23% less than if you converted to dollars and then kip (give or take a few percentage points to convert from Dong to dollar in Vietnam). If you are in Sapa you can always help out the Red Dao and convert their Dollars to your Dong. Happy travels

#6 Posted: 8/4/2009 - 21:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Issues on entering Thailand ... By afix on 21 Nov 2011 3 894 22 Nov 2011
Entering SEA - visa and forwarding ticket issues! ... By abergz07 on 18 May 2014 2 584 19 May 2014
Money issues ... By magicrob69 on 19 Jul 2012 7 1868 26 Jul 2012