Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Bo Y border crossing and Laos Visa

• kiwigirl

Joined Travelfish
    14th October, 2006

Hi,

Hubbie and I are off to Vietnam and Laos in 4 weeks - getting very excited!!

At this stage we are planning on entering Laos from Vietnam via the Bo Y border (from central highlands of Vietnam to Attepeu region in Laos) - any more successful border crossing updates in this direction much appreciated.

I have read that according to Lao embassy officials this border is still closed to foreigners (we are from New Zealand)however we are still deterimined to try - and at least have an adventure in the process.

Wondering if when we apply for Laos visa will they ask us the point of entry we intend on using?

And if we do need to stipulate entry and exit points and we say Lao Bao and turn up at Bo Y - can we still use it?

Am yet to decide if we get visa via Lao embassy in Canberra or consulate in Ho Chi Minh City when we arrive - any suggestions for ease?

Thanks for any advice,

Kiwigirl

#1 Posted: 15/4/2007 - 15:11

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

hi Kiwigirl,

The Bo Y border crossing is pretty loose - when our man on the ground crossed there the Lao authorities maintained it was closed, but he had no problems getting through whatsoever.

That's a good question about what border crossing to write down -- I'd try writing down Bo Y and if the issuing officer at the consulate says no, then just change it to Lao Bao and then cross your fingers when you show up at the border.

I'd say get the visa in saigon -- if nothing else it should be cheaper than from Canberra.

Hope that helps & let us know how you go at Bo Y.

#2 Posted: 15/4/2007 - 18:14

• kiwigirl

Joined Travelfish
    14th October, 2006

Thanks for advice Somtam 2000.

If anyone has any updates about this crossing in the next month we would love to hear from you.

Will definately let everyone know how we get on with it all.

Many thanks and fantastic job on the new Travelfish guides - they are going to be our bibles for our 2 week southern Laos adventure - well done!

#3 Posted: 16/4/2007 - 02:34

• sophie2093

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello!

A month ago i travelled across through Laos into Vietnam via the Bo-Y border crossing. When i reached Attapeu i asked around several shops which had Vietnamese writing and they directed me to a hotel owned by a ovely vietnamese couple The response to getting to across was "yes,Ok bus, yes OK" There was a public bus that goes through from pakse and follows onto the border and continues to Ho chi minh city. It drives through attapeu around 10am.

The bus trip is fantastic! Beatutiful scenery and the road is brand new! For some reason the bus was pilled up with loads of junk but sleeping on bags of rice in the isle was suprisingly confortable!! At the border there was no problems at all, only waiting around for sometime while they filled out forms for the bus! I was worried i may have to pay a bribe to get across but i think they were more suprised that i was only 19! Definitly a great experience if you get the chance to do it!

#4 Posted: 19/4/2007 - 14:15

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Sophie - thanks for the report!

#5 Posted: 19/4/2007 - 14:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Kaam Samnor Border Crossing, Cambodia Visa, Laos Visa ... By kpop on 10 Jun 2009 4 7034 10 Jun 2009
Border Crossing: Laos - Cambodia / VISA ... By MILKDOG on 24 Jun 2006 2 3778 25 Jun 2006
Visa for border crossing thailand to Laos (nongkhai) ... By dbp92503 on 27 Sep 2006 9 5491 30 Sep 2006
Cambodia e-visa border crossing ... By kelpeta on 1 Jan 2008 2 5669 8 Jan 2008
Visa and border crossing by train HELP PLEASE!! ... By wardadg on 30 Jan 2010 3 3359 30 Jan 2010
border crossing visa Thailand?! ... By ellie1990 on 22 Feb 2013 3 1246 26 Feb 2013
nhong kai border crossing to vientiane -- VISA? ... By jasminsingh on 6 Oct 2007 1 4288 6 Oct 2007
Border Crossing to Cambodia and Visa require ... By audrey13 on 1 Dec 2013 2 462 2 Dec 2013
Chau Doc border crossing and Cambodia Visa ... By torilou on 7 Jul 2010 5 8461 7 Jul 2010
Crossing the border in Laos! ... By floralbutton on 2 Feb 2011 8 3357 10 Feb 2011