Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Si Phan Don to....Where?

• mfriedberg

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2012

Hi guys. So I am spending a max of 3 weeks travelling from Vientiane to Si Phan Don but then I have another week or two to spend. I'm not sure whether I should continue south into Cambodia or go west into Thailand. If I went to Cambodia I would probably want to go to Siem Reap and Phnom Penh but neither of those are particularly close. I also am probably going to have to fly back to the states from Bangkok so it might make more sense to go to Thailand but it doesn't seem like there is anything particularly up my alley around Bangkok. Any good ideas on routes from Si Phan Don?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 19/6/2012 - 14:36

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I may be stating the obvious but you could always cut into Vietnam from SPD and work your way up to Hanoi while taking in some of the sights (i.e. Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi, Sapa and HB). How many and which ones will depend on your style of travel. Flights from Hanoi to Bangkok are ten a penny.

#2 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 10:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It would help to know what your alley is before anyone can really guide you intelligently. What are your interests?

#3 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 11:23

• mfriedberg

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2012

I just mean that I'm not looking to be in urban areas. I love the outdoors and I love culture. My purpose is not to see thirty temples a day either, but instead to take my time going through villages and experiencing the people and land.

#4 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 13:25

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

If you have to head towards Bangkok then a sweep through Cambodia seems logical and interesting. If you just have a few days go to Siem Reap/Angkor then to Bangkok in a day. If you have more time shoot down to Kratie, Kamphong Cham, Phnom Penh or via Pursat and Battambang to Siem Reap.

Just don't leave Si Phan Don until you have your "BEEN THERE DON DET" t-shirt. Yes they do exist haha.

#5 Posted: 26/6/2012 - 10:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.