Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Bus from Luang Prabang to Vientiane

• Meilian1818

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

I'm planning a trip through Laos for early this June and am running into some time constraints now that they no longer offer the speedboats from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang. Is the bus the fastest way between Luang Prabang and Vientiane (except flying). How long does the VIP bus/mini van take and what time does it leave LP? Is there a night bus between these two cities?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 17/4/2007 - 04:36

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Melian1818,

If you take a look at this suggested itinerary, you'll see you're looking at around nine hours for the trip. I'm not sure if there is a night bus or not. In northern Laos most long distance buses leave in the morning.

#2 Posted: 17/4/2007 - 08:50

• ernieh

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Meilian1818,

The fastest way to get to Vientiane is take a mini bus from Luang Prabang. Do not take a night bus if they offer it as the road from LP to Vang Vieng zig zags through the hills. The mini bus costs a little more than the VIP bus but they usually pick you up from your guesthouse so the cost works out to be the same as you will save on taking a tuk tuk to the bus station. You can book a seat on the mini van at most of the travel agents in Luang Prabang.

Ernie

#3 Posted: 24/4/2007 - 15:16

• ernieh

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007

Hi Meilian1818,

The fastest way to get to Vientiane is take a mini bus from Luang Prabang. Do not take a night bus if they offer it as the road from LP to Vang Vieng zig zags through the hills. The mini bus costs a little more than the VIP bus but they usually pick you up from your guesthouse so the cost works out to be the same as you will save on taking a tuk tuk to the bus station. You can book a seat on the mini van at most of the travel agents in Luang Prabang.

Ernie

#4 Posted: 24/4/2007 - 15:16

• ernieh

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007

Hi Meilian1818,

Ernie

#5 Posted: 24/4/2007 - 15:17

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Regarding night busses.

There are a few of the long distance busses that pass through Luang Prabang in the early evening on their way south. Particularly those from Pongsali, Bokeo, and Luang Namtha. The people at the ticket booth in the Southern Bus station in Luang Prabang speak English and can be pretty helpful.

I like the busses, particularly the regular ones. Filled with Lao people which is one of the reasons I travel there, to meat Lao people. I believe the longer wheel base on the busses smoothes out the ride. I’ve also been encouraged by the skilfulness of the drivers lately, maybe I’ve just had good luck.

The downside of night busses is that they are usually ahead of schedule and arrive in Vientiane very early, sometimes at two or three in the morning. The upside is that there is zero chance of any security problems. Nights are full of ghosts and most people stay inside.

For booking a bus, I simply go to the bus station and get on the next one headed south.

Enjoy your travels

#6 Posted: 25/4/2007 - 20:51

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

In looking at the original post there is a mention of speed boats being cancelled. I’d heard a rumour to that affect covering the whole of the Mekong, but when I checked at Vientiane and Xiengkok in February I saw many speed boats on the river. I called a guest house in Houay Xia and was told the same thing, though I never went there and saw one myself. A quick glance at You Tube shows many recent videos of speed boats on this section of river.

Don't wear a hat, if you have long hair tie it back and keep the grin off your face.

#7 Posted: 25/4/2007 - 21:01

• mayla

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

hi. While i can't tell you of scheduling, i HAVE (please excuse erratic typing; POOR KEYBOARD) RIDDEN THE BUS FROM LUANG PRABANG TO VIENTIANE AND, IF YOU HAVE ANY TENDANCY TOWARD MOTION SICKNESS, BE SURE YOU HAVE TABLETS (or maybe take a plane). About 6 hours or so is windy mountain roads (UP & DOWN & back & forth)> Many people were vomitting and the bus attendants had plastic bags for same as part of their supplies. At breaks people would troop out carrying their little, filled transparent blue plastic bags. i've taken long distance buses, including even non-VIP ones, in INDIA AND THAILAND and never before seen so much stomach upset ... even once you reach level ground, the round is twisty until maybe an hour or two before vientiane. Otherwise< given a cast iron stomach< the mountains are beautiful and there are some spectacular views> have a good time> mayla

#8 Posted: 26/4/2007 - 18:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vientiane to Luang Prabang ... By Gerry on 15 May 2008 17 10161 18 Dec 2008
Fly to Vientiane or Luang Prabang from Hanoi??? ... By kgroarke on 27 Jun 2011 2 3047 28 Jun 2011
Nightbus Luang Prabang-Vientiane? ... By Jolinde on 24 Jun 2010 2 3817 24 Jun 2010
Vientiane/Luang Prabang /Chiangmai ... By KPTham1 on 26 Sep 2006 6 2915 12 Oct 2006
Flight between Vientiane and Luang Prabang ... By bubbl3s on 17 Sep 2012 3 1590 22 Sep 2012
Luang Prabang to Vientiane night bus? ... By katsnow on 12 Jan 2010 12 14441 8 Oct 2011
Accomodation in Luang Prabang and Vientiane ... By nicoleslaw on 5 Jan 2012 3 1450 10 Jan 2012
Walking from Vientiane to Luang Prabang ... By rossville69 on 29 Oct 2008 12 3572 11 Jun 2009
Bangkok to Luang Prabang/Vientiane ... By mattza on 29 Apr 2008 16 21506 7 May 2008
To Vientiane or Luang Prabang from KL, or options? ... By Sampan on 7 Nov 2009 6 4070 9 Nov 2009