Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Little scam in southern Laos

• JoHe59

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2006

I went to the 4000 islands in southern Laos by taking the public bus from Pakse to Don Det/Don Khon. It takes about 3 hours and then you have to take a boat (ferry) to either Don Det or Don Khon. Normally the boats depart from the boatlanding at the small village of Ban Nakasan. At a certain moment I saw the sign 'Ban Nakasan' on the main road pointing towards a small road to the right, but the bus just went on for a few km and then turned right onto a similar small road. At the end there was a boatlanding, where they asked 20000 kip to go to Don Det and 30000 kip to go to Don Khon. Almost everybody wanted to go to Don Det, except me who decided to go to Don Khon. So off we went for about 30 minutes on the Mekong to arrive finally at Don Det. Then off we went again to Don Khon - at least that was what the boat driver said. I think we only went for about 1 km further south and there he dropped me off. After a while, walking along the water on that island, I realised that I was still on Don Det and that Don Khon was much further south. But I decided -as I was very tired- to stay on Don Det anyway. So I paid 10000 kip more to be dropped off at the same island only 1 km further south. Second: when I left Don Det to go to Pakse again, the boat dropped me off at the boatlanding at Ban Nakasan (and not at the boatlanding where I took the boat to get to Don Det). And as it seems the boat trip only costs 10000 kip (from Ban Nakasan to Don Det and vice versa). So if you're on the bus from Pakse to the 4000 islands, you have to insist they go to the boatlanding at Ban Nakasan. Have a nice trip!-

#1 Posted: 17/4/2007 - 21:07

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.