Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Laos Cambodia Burma - what order?

• Dimamah

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2012

hi,
    I'm planning visiting these countries from 4th of November to 17th of December.
    The time frame is :
    3 weeks Burma
    3 weeks Cambodia
    6 weeks Laos
    last 2 weeks at Thailand.

I'm a solo 25 years old male first time backpacking in SEA, well first time backpacking anyware :)

I was initially planning doing :
    Burma > Laos north to south > cambodia east to north west

I've heard that some say that Burma isn't easy traveling for inexperienced travelers.
    what do you think? should i postpone burma to the end?
    I think i'm fine with the weather anywhere in my time frame ain't i?

thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 5/7/2012 - 13:13

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Overland into Laos or Northern Thailand from Burma might be a bit tricky. I'm not sure what the security situation in Northeast Burma is at the moment. You might want to check on that one.

Your math didn't work here: You have 12 weeks for those three countries, which is three months. But you state the time frame is 4 November to 17 December, which is have the time frame you indicated (Thailand excluded).

#2 Posted: 5/7/2012 - 21:50

• Dimamah

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2012

the time frame is for the whole trip.
    3.5 months.

either way I'm planning on flying in and out from Burma to Bangkok and then fly to chiang may if doing Burma first or to south of Thailand is doing Burma last

#3 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 03:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

OK, well your plan makes sense. You must have reasons for wanting to go to the places you listed. Burma is somewhat expensive - but I'm sure you know that already.

#4 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 22:55

• Dimamah

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2012

so you think its fine starting with Burma while I have no experience is backpacking or shuold I go there after being in Laos and Cambodia?

#5 Posted: 7/7/2012 - 03:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I don't think the sequence matters much in your case. "Experience" in Cambodia isn't going to be of much use in Burma. And Burma has one thing going for it - English. A lot of people speak English there. Read up on the cultural peculiarities of each and the specifics of where you are going, and go for it.

#6 Posted: 7/7/2012 - 05:52

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

English is also spoken widely in Cambodia too, so don't let that be a factor.

Cambodia is more touristy, therefore perhaps more 'comfortable' as a newbie to travelling. Likewise the northern end of Laos. Haven't been to Burma so can;t compred. If you want to start with the 'easiest;, I guess that would be Cambodia, out of the 3 that you mention. Thailand is probably the 'easiest' overall, but it's the nicest way to finish up - with a couple of weeks of lying in the island sun.

If it were me, the major considerations would be weather and a logical path with least amount of doubling back. I don't think I woudl worry about one place being 'harder' than any other. If you're sticking to the main touristy trail, you'll be fine no matter which way you go.

#7 Posted: 7/7/2012 - 07:56

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Actually - I should clarify my first comment above. English isn't necessarily widely spoken, although it certainly is in the main tourists areas. On my first visit there, I was surprised at how well many could it. (Just in case someone wanted to pull me up on that!)

#8 Posted: 7/7/2012 - 18:29

• Dimamah

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2012

thanks.
    about the weather :
    any good reason going to burma in nov vs jan/feb?
    to laos in nov/dec vs dec/jan?
    to cambodia in dec/jan vs jan/feb?

#9 Posted: 8/7/2012 - 00:53

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

Posted from within Vietnam.

Burma is as easy to travel in as Laos or Cambodia (arguably more so since you're not even allowed to go to or stay in places where English speakers and transport options are severely limited and the crime rate is lower even than Laos). The only real downer is having to carry a month's supply of US dollars in cash with you, but you can get rid of your leftover USD in Cambodia if you go to Burma first.

Burmese accommodation costs more than Laos and Cambodia but it's certainly easier to spend money fast in Thailand.

#10 Posted: 8/9/2012 - 07:59

• Advertisement

• kelly_zee

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2012

Hi Dimamah, I am sure you have already secured your plans by now, but I thought I would weigh in cause I too am planning a similar trip from the end of December through January. My reasoning is to go to Burma first because a) after hearing stories about the lack of amenities for travellers (ie ratio of hotel rooms per tourist), I plan to book travel and accommodation ahead of time, and b) I will be getting my american money from the bank at home and I don't want to travel for a long period of time carrying so much cash.

After Burma - I have no plans - I'll stay as long or as little as I like in each place.

#11 Posted: 19/10/2012 - 19:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos - Order of Travel ... By lizzie501 on 30 Aug 2011 4 3030 3 Sep 2011
WHAT IS BEST ORDER TO GO TO THESE PLACES IN VIETNAM, CAMBODIA & LAOS IN FIVE WEEK TRIP? ... By dvdwilensky on 1 Dec 2009 3 2923 12 Dec 2009
Order of route through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam... how best to end the trip? ... By estelle8 on 3 Aug 2010 3 7946 15 Aug 2010
Costs (Laos, Cambodia, Burma) ... By perkinwarbeck on 1 Jan 2013 0 1016 1 Jan 2013
Thailand - Burma - Cambodia - Laos possible in 4 days? ... By adammcintyre on 18 Feb 2014 8 644 19 Feb 2014
Thailand and afterwards Burma or Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia? ... By xxIris on 3 Apr 2014 7 958 5 Apr 2014