Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Laos Cambodia Burma - what order?

Posted by Dimamah on 5/7/2012 at 13:13

hi,
I'm planning visiting these countries from 4th of November to 17th of December.
The time frame is :
3 weeks Burma
3 weeks Cambodia
6 weeks Laos
last 2 weeks at Thailand.

I'm a solo 25 years old male first time backpacking in SEA, well first time backpacking anyware :)

I was initially planning doing :
Burma > Laos north to south > cambodia east to north west

I've heard that some say that Burma isn't easy traveling for inexperienced travelers.
what do you think? should i postpone burma to the end?
I think i'm fine with the weather anywhere in my time frame ain't i?

thanks in advance

#1 Dimamah has been a member since 9/6/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by MADMAC on 5/7/2012 at 21:50

Overland into Laos or Northern Thailand from Burma might be a bit tricky. I'm not sure what the security situation in Northeast Burma is at the moment. You might want to check on that one.

Your math didn't work here: You have 12 weeks for those three countries, which is three months. But you state the time frame is 4 November to 17 December, which is have the time frame you indicated (Thailand excluded).

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Dimamah on 6/7/2012 at 03:54

the time frame is for the whole trip.
3.5 months.

either way I'm planning on flying in and out from Burma to Bangkok and then fly to chiang may if doing Burma first or to south of Thailand is doing Burma last

#3 Dimamah has been a member since 9/6/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by MADMAC on 6/7/2012 at 22:55

OK, well your plan makes sense. You must have reasons for wanting to go to the places you listed. Burma is somewhat expensive - but I'm sure you know that already.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Dimamah on 7/7/2012 at 03:18

so you think its fine starting with Burma while I have no experience is backpacking or shuold I go there after being in Laos and Cambodia?

#5 Dimamah has been a member since 9/6/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by MADMAC on 7/7/2012 at 05:52

I don't think the sequence matters much in your case. "Experience" in Cambodia isn't going to be of much use in Burma. And Burma has one thing going for it - English. A lot of people speak English there. Read up on the cultural peculiarities of each and the specifics of where you are going, and go for it.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by busylizzy on 7/7/2012 at 07:56

English is also spoken widely in Cambodia too, so don't let that be a factor.

Cambodia is more touristy, therefore perhaps more 'comfortable' as a newbie to travelling. Likewise the northern end of Laos. Haven't been to Burma so can;t compred. If you want to start with the 'easiest;, I guess that would be Cambodia, out of the 3 that you mention. Thailand is probably the 'easiest' overall, but it's the nicest way to finish up - with a couple of weeks of lying in the island sun.

If it were me, the major considerations would be weather and a logical path with least amount of doubling back. I don't think I woudl worry about one place being 'harder' than any other. If you're sticking to the main touristy trail, you'll be fine no matter which way you go.

#7 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 7/7/2012 at 18:29

Actually - I should clarify my first comment above. English isn't necessarily widely spoken, although it certainly is in the main tourists areas. On my first visit there, I was surprised at how well many could it. (Just in case someone wanted to pull me up on that!)

#8 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Dimamah on 8/7/2012 at 00:53

thanks.
about the weather :
any good reason going to burma in nov vs jan/feb?
to laos in nov/dec vs dec/jan?
to cambodia in dec/jan vs jan/feb?

#9 Dimamah has been a member since 9/6/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by enigmatic on 8/9/2012 at 07:59

Posted from within Vietnam.

Burma is as easy to travel in as Laos or Cambodia (arguably more so since you're not even allowed to go to or stay in places where English speakers and transport options are severely limited and the crime rate is lower even than Laos). The only real downer is having to carry a month's supply of US dollars in cash with you, but you can get rid of your leftover USD in Cambodia if you go to Burma first.

Burmese accommodation costs more than Laos and Cambodia but it's certainly easier to spend money fast in Thailand.

#10 enigmatic has been a member since 14/4/2011. Posts: 84

Posted by kelly_zee on 19/10/2012 at 19:02

Hi Dimamah, I am sure you have already secured your plans by now, but I thought I would weigh in cause I too am planning a similar trip from the end of December through January. My reasoning is to go to Burma first because a) after hearing stories about the lack of amenities for travellers (ie ratio of hotel rooms per tourist), I plan to book travel and accommodation ahead of time, and b) I will be getting my american money from the bank at home and I don't want to travel for a long period of time carrying so much cash.

After Burma - I have no plans - I'll stay as long or as little as I like in each place.

#11 kelly_zee has been a member since 19/10/2012. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.