Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Big Brother Mouse - Luang Prabang

• sianbevans

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2012

Hello,
    I am travelling solo for the first time in Laos and am spending a majority of my time in Luang Prabang (8 days). I would like to do a bit of sightseeing and some volunteering. I have come across the Big Brother Mouse website and was wondering about others' experiences with this organisation? I'll definitely drop in and help with conversational English while there but has anyone gone along on a Book Party visit?
    Any feedback would be appreciated!
    Cheers :)

#1 Posted: 8/7/2012 - 20:29

• Advertisement

• enday

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012
    Total reviews: 6

Hi,
    I helped with English conversation 4 times at Big Brother mouse and highly recommend it!
    Its all young adults so popping in to help out is better than something to do with children, I believe.
    All the 'students' are very grateful for your time and help, particularly in the low tourist season when there are fewer travellers around.
    I found out so much more about Laos from my conversations with the young people here. It is definitely worthwhile, simple help with pronunciation was the really valuable contribution I could make as most had quite a large written vocabulary in English (don't count on this being the case always) there is a shortage of native english speakers though, and education is very expensive in Laos so just having conversations is perfect for improving language skills!
    Bring along pen and paper if you have them and have fun!

#2 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 08:35

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Another similar place nearby - Lenou's Library needs volunteers to help with English. Watch the video:

http://www.eidolonfilms.com/2011/10/06/lenous-library/

#3 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 12:03

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

BBM is a for profit organisation. Now there is nothing wrong with that, however i would prefer to donate money to Room To Read.

#4 Posted: 14/9/2012 - 01:49

• enday

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012
    Total reviews: 6

Yep, money elsewhere I agree. Is room to read the public library? If not, the library also accept donations for their book boat and go to more remote villages than BBM.
    But time, BBM or any place where you assist adults. At BBM all the people are there because they are making an effort to access english language skills to enhance work prospects.... and its really rewarding and fun!

#5 Posted: 14/9/2012 - 03:41

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

No, RTR is an organisation that supplies books to Lao kids. It is non profit.

#6 Posted: 14/9/2012 - 19:02

• sianbevans

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2012

Thank you everyone for the replies. I will take your advice on board and would like to visit both places.
    Cheers.

#7 Posted: 16/9/2012 - 22:55

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

hi, what is RTR?

are there any other similar non-profit language classes that we can help in LP? we'd be there in two weeks' time.

#8 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 04:49

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

RTR = Room to Read.

language classes - sometimes students invite foreign tourists they meet to their classes, but those are not non-profit places. there's also a programme that gets foreign volunteers to teach English classes in a few local schools, but that is a long term commitment with requirements to meet & screening of candidates.

for short-term drop-in, please see this: http://www.lao-kids.org/visiting-volunteering.php

#9 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 06:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9596 19 Aug 2011