Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Vietnam and Laos

• agnes_wyee

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007

Hi

I'll be travelling from Central to Southern Vietnam starting from Hue to Saigon (going from Phnom Penh). I had done Hanoi and Halong Bay in a different trip.

My tentative itinery is (can be changed):
    Phnom Penh - Hue (fly)
    Hue - Danang/ Hoi An (bus)
    Danang - Nha Trang (fly)
    Nha Trang - Saigon (fly)
    *Maybe: Saigon - Mui Ne (bus) & Can Tho

I saw one of your articles mentioned Con Dao and Phu Quoc. Where exactly is these two places (cannot find in the map) and how do I get there?

I am considering to extend this trip to Southern Laos as well. But I am not too sure how to cross the border. Can I take a bus from Hue or Danang straight to Pakse? From 4 Thousand Islands, what is the best way to go back to Vietnam or Phnom Penh? Should I include Vientiene and Luong Prabang into the itinery? I have maximum 14 days for this trip. And how can I split the days?

I don't mind reversing the journey, ie: Laos first then Vietnam.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks
    Agnes

#1 Posted: 22/4/2007 - 18:19

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Agnes,

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw your post!

In answer to your questions - Con Dao Islands are around 250km offshore from HCMC - you need to fly there.

Phu Quoc Island is south --actually off the coast of Cambodia. Quickest way is to fly there from Saigon.

A few thoughts:

Crossing from Hue/Da Nang into laos will most likely take you via the Lao Bao crossing to the lao town of Savannakhet -- from there you could organise transport south to Pakse and Si Phan Don (4,000 Islands).

From Si Phan Don it is a straightforward trip south over the border and south to Phnom Penh. You can read all about the Lao/Cambodia border crossing here. There's a new crossing that has opened up at Bo Y -- it's between the Lao town of Attapeu and Kon Tum in Vietnam's Central Highlands -- see the Border crossing FAQ for more info on that one.

With only two weeks, I think you'll be flat out coverign what you have listed without adding Luang prabang or Vientiane.

One last thing, are you sure you can fly Phnom Penh to Hue -- that's not a route that I'm aware of...

#2 Posted: 24/4/2007 - 14:26

• agnes_wyee

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007

Thanks for the tips.

The flight from Phnom Penh to Hue is with a transit through Saigon.

#3 Posted: 25/4/2007 - 20:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.