admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I just stumbled across "Laotian Prayers on a Sinking Raft" in the March issue of Perceptive Travel, penned by Brad Olsen.

Hanging out in Muang Ngoi, Brad and his partner joined two others planning to float down the Nam Ou on a bamboo raft -- turns out it's not as easy as it looks.

Brad finishes in explaining that while the raft trip may not have been smooth sailing, it was an "authentic travel moment".

What springs to your mind when you think of an authentic travel moment?

#1 Posted: 24/4/2007 - 14:13

• Advertisement

• prairieox

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

I was on the public bus from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh, on a seat that had my legs perched over the wheel (which results in leg cramps and stiffness for hours, not to mention added pain in the butt, literally).

Five minutes before rolling into Phnom Penh's market bus station, the sweet little girl in front of me, pee'd. It went straight through her seat, right down, sloshing onto my legs and open sandal-ed feet. Five minutes!

The next thing of course, is to get past the touts when I got off the bus. Picture this: a skinny Chinese woman, desperately using her small water bottle to wash the pee off her feet, surrounded by relentless men at the side of the bus, who in her lack of response, pushed closer and closer in. Lady, I know hotel. Lady, I have tuk-tuk. Lady, I take you, okay, I take you?

Yeap, under that bright sunny sky in humid sweaty Phnom Penh, that was my authentic travel moment. :)

#2 Posted: 25/4/2007 - 09:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.