Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Busing from Don Dhet to Phnom Penh

• redlipgloss

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2012

So I know that I can bus from Don Dhet to Phnom Penh but my issue is that I can't get mush more information than "yes, this can be done." I'm really hoping there's someone out there who can assist in answering the following questions:

1) Where do you catch the bus from or at?
    2) Where do you buy tickets from?
    3) Are there any bus companies/trips to watch out for? Anything not quite safe?
    4) How long does this trip usually take?

Thanks, so much, in advance for your help!

#1 Posted: 10/8/2012 - 16:41

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

I can't answer all your questions, but I do know that you can book the trip from an agent (there are a few) on Don Det. You will then have to go to the boat landing (don't worry - you'll find it) for about 8am and take the boat to the mainland and will then be transferred to a bus there.

#2 Posted: 10/8/2012 - 23:47

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

As per above reply, many agents and guesthouses on Don Det book the roadtrips into Cambodia. Cost should be around $15 to Kratie or $25 to Phnom Penh . It typically starts with a boat ride from the northern tip of the island to Ban Nakasang, then a pickup or minivan to the border. Stamp out of Thailand, short drive through no-mans-land, then visa on arrival to Cambodia ($20). Try to avoid the B.S. "health check" fee and other attempts to skim an extra few dollars off the top. Then you're usually hearded into another minivan to Stung Treng and Kratie. I would consider to break the ride there, then get a government-licensed bus to Phnom Penh the next morning. Trying to make PP same day can be a stretch.

#3 Posted: 11/8/2012 - 10:42

• redlipgloss

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2012

Thank you both so much for your responses. This information helps a lot!

@Captain_Bob...I have heard that you can do it in one trip but wasn't too sure of the timeframe. I'm definitely thinking the way to go is stopping in Kratie.

Thanks again!

#4 Posted: 13/8/2012 - 10:11

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

from that isle obviously not in 1 trip.
    There IS a daily big bus Pakse/largest town in south-Laos to PnPenh, daily, cost also 25$/single, but I guess there is no reliable booking for it on DD and do not know if there is a scheduled stop nearby. .Find all info for Khmer buslines on canbypublications.com.
    This bus is even bookable in Vientiane, as connection from the overnight sleeperbus in Laos toward PnPn--total time nearly 24 hrs!

#5 Posted: 14/8/2012 - 06:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1452 2 Mar 2014