Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Where should I go if I want to avoid Vang vieng but discover the beauty of true laos

• travelbug86

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2012

Hi fellow travellers,

I am heading to laos for a week in febuary and was wondering where I should go if I am not interested at all in VV?

I understand laos is very beautiful but my schedule only allows a week in laos.
    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Travelbug

#1 Posted: 26/8/2012 - 18:36

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

What kind of beauty are you talking about here? Natural beauty? Archtectural beauty? Human beauty (modern Laos culture)? Vientiane and Luang Prabang seem logical within your time frame and lacking any more specific information.

#2 Posted: 26/8/2012 - 21:20

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

If you are arriving overland from Danang, you might consider hanging out in southern Laos, since you'll already be in that general area. Pakse and the Mekong River, Bolevans Plateau, Champasak and Wat Phu (and more river), and even the 4,000 islands, although that last one may be more backpacker/tourist than you want. From there it is an easy onward trip down to Cambodia or over to Thailand too.

Vientiane and Luang Prabang are also excellent choices, and Luang Prabang has a few standard day trips that will get you on the river and/or out in the boonies. But it is a fair journey by road to get to Luang Prabang, and you'd be spending a good chunk of that week getting there.

Don't discount Vang Vieng from just the stories you've read either. Those limestone karsts are spectacular and it isn't difficult to avoid the party scene in VV if you wish. Regards.

#3 Posted: 26/8/2012 - 22:01

• travelbug86

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2012

Thanks everyone for your reply! Reading over my question it is very vague. It sounds like I should Luang Prabang!

Considering my timeframe this may mean I might have to do some flying, are airlines in Laos safe and affordable? Is there any that are particularly good?

#4 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 00:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

There aren't "airlines" in Laos, there is an airline. It's reasonably safe (standards have improved much over the last few years) and ridiculously expensive. As far as I know, only Laos Air serve Luang Prabang, but you can check with some others here to confirm.

#5 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 10:16

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Vietnam Airlines also definitely serve LP, and I think Bangkok Airways also.

But for internal flights within Laos I'm pretty sure you are restricted to Lao Airlines.

#6 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 10:20

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Yeah I should have specified that. There are different airlines that fly into Laos from other points. Didn't know Bangkok airways did though. I don't know how Laos Air gets any business at all excepting internal flights where they have a monopoly, because they're expensive.

#7 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 07:53

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

And the bad reputation they have as well. Which is fairness is probably unjustified.

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/50

#8 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 08:12

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

If you're worried about Vang Vieng 's bad reputation due to the drunken tubing scene just stay on the southern edge of town away from the zombies. Rent a bike and explore the valley across the river, take a kayak down the river or explore some of the caves. Still plenty of great scenery and peaceful places all around the Vang Vieng area.

#9 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 10:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I think it used to be justified, China. But they have come a long way.

But a flight from Savankhet to Bangkok is around 4,500 baht. Whereas from Ubon it's half that. Plus, if you are on the Thai side of the border, then you have to pay for a Visa to enter Laos and another to re-enter Thailand. Between ticket costs and visa fees, it's some four time what you would pay to fly from Ubon or NKP and ten times a top end VIP bus. That means the expat market on this side of the river is a no-go.

#10 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 11:14

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

They haven't had a crash in 12 years.

#11 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 11:31

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

But there was a time China, when their safety rating was really bad. When I moved here I had this discussion with Rufus, and he pointed out then they hadn't had a crash in some years - but prior to that (I believe they brought in professional mechanics from France that came with a new aircraft contract but not sure there) their safety rating was bad. That rep stays with you for a while. Also, third world country airline safety records, on the whole, are not very good. Those two things together create a rep that can be tough to beat, but at this point I think Laos air has overcome them. But they're still WAY too expensive.

#12 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 22:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Also their volume of air traffic is low... which limits opportunities for a crash. Not saying they aren't doing a good job, just saying statistically if you don't fly much, your opportunities for crashing are smaller. But one crash, pow, your record takes a big hit, because the numbers are crunched prortionally. They fly over my house every day, twice a day. I wish I could use the airport, but the expense of doing so is prohibitive.

#13 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 22:05

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Prices will probably decrease with competition. They are not a budget airline in the Air Asia mould though.

#14 Posted: 3/9/2012 - 19:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Or even in the Thai Airways mould. The only non-Thai Airways flights I have seen flying into Savanakhet are US Air Force and Thai Air Force C-130s (the US Air Force ones I recently discovered were doing MIA remains repatriation). So I think Laos Air maintains its monopoly on that particular location. Anyway, without a visa agreement, it's use remains a no-go for me.

#15 Posted: 3/9/2012 - 22:16

• orangebutton

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2011

I was in Laos in February and thought just like you only to find out that Vang Vieng is actually a great place to be. The people you want to avoid (the drunkdrugers) usually sleep till lunch time than they get on the river tubing coming back at around 6pm that is the time you have to bring back the tubes without paying an extra fee after that they are mostly located in two bars down at the river so most of the day the town is empty. As posted above there are a lot of things to do there but the thing that made me stay there for 5 five instead of 1 day was the stunning breathtaking view. Also not everyone going there is drunk 24/7 I am sure you will find likeminded people if you are traveling on your own. All I can say is I would realy reget not having been there

#16 Posted: 6/9/2012 - 16:15

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

Posted from within Vietnam.

Nong Khiaw, a side trip upriver from Luang Prabang, is one obvious alternative. Similar riverside limestone karst scenery and a decent tourist infrastructure with absolutely no attempt to turn it into a party town.

#17 Posted: 8/9/2012 - 07:21

• enday

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012
    Total reviews: 6

Hi,
    I think Luang Prabang with a night in Nong Khiaw with a slow boat trip back to LP would probably satisfy your desire for beauty. There is plenty of natural beauty to be found close to Luang Prabang and the town is pretty with lovely architecture (yes, thanks UNESCO)
    I wouldn't suggest spending more than a day in Vientiane if you only have a week in the country. In fact I'd skip it altogether unless there is something in particular you really want to see.
    I flew from Vientiane to LP in July, its not that expensive for a one off trip, particularly given you're in Laos such a short time.
    enjoy your trip

#18 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 07:55

• enday

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012
    Total reviews: 6

Hi,
    I think Luang Prabang with a night in Nong Khiaw with a slow boat trip back to LP would probably satisfy your desire for beauty. There is plenty of natural beauty to be found close to Luang Prabang and the town is pretty with lovely architecture (yes, thanks UNESCO)
    I wouldn't suggest spending more than a day in Vientiane if you only have a week in the country. In fact I'd skip it altogether unless there is something in particular you really want to see.
    I flew from Vientiane to LP in July, its not that expensive for a one off trip, particularly given you're in Laos such a short time.
    enjoy your trip

#19 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 07:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Riverside Boutique Resort, Vang Vieng: #1 on TripAdvisor and first luxury hotel in Vang Vieng ... By svriverside on 16 Aug 2013 0 1266 16 Aug 2013
Vang Vieng - New hotel - Villa Vang Vieng Riverside ... By charlass on 6 Jan 2011 0 4463 6 Jan 2011
discover the beauty of vietnam traditional music - ca tru ... By lolaonyx on 15 Jul 2014 0 288 15 Jul 2014
Laos Vang vieng in May ... By danielleandmike on 8 May 2011 4 3387 10 May 2011
Tubing in Vang Vieng, Laos ... By basho on 27 Jan 2009 158 53072 4 Sep 2012
Pan's Place, Vang Vieng, Laos ... By neilenolix on 2 Jan 2007 2 5682 14 Jan 2007
Tubing in Vang Vieng Laos ... By somtam2000 on 13 Nov 2009 10 5250 22 Nov 2009
Update of info on Pan's Place, Vang Vieng , Laos ... By neilenolix on 24 Nov 2009 0 7946 24 Nov 2009
Honda Win 100cc for sale - Vang Vieng or Vientiane, Laos ... By Epikz on 4 Jun 2012 0 818 4 Jun 2012
Vang Vieng or Vieng Xai and Phonsavan ... By coralidiote on 6 Dec 2013 2 802 13 Dec 2013