Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Laos itinerary advice

• araxas

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2012

Hello,

I'm traveling to Laos for the first time in late November, starting/ending my trip in Vientiane . Here's roughly what I've planned. I'm on an average budget (not 5-star, but not backpacking either) Does this itinerary make sense both logistically and from the perspective of a first time Laos visitor? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Day 1 - Vientiane
    Day 2 - travel to Kong Lor by bus / overnight
    Day 3 - visit Kong Lor caves bus to Thakhet
    Day 4 - Thakhet (lake, caves, town)
    Day 5 - travel day to Champasak (can I do this in 1 day from Thakhet? how?)
    Day 6 - Wat Phu & environs
    Day 7- Bolaven Plateau day trip
    Day 8 - Pakse - Luang Prabang (flight)
    Day 9 - Luang Prabang & environs
    Day 10 - Luang Prabang & environs
    Day 11 - Luang Prabang & environs
    Day 12 - travel day to Phonsavan
    Day 13 - Plain of Jars
    Day 14 - Vientiane (flight) & home

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 16/9/2012 - 12:18

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi araxas,

Some thoughts ...

Thakhek to Champasak may not be in the cards unless you leave extremely early in the morning. To get to Champasak you'll have to cross the Mekong on a makeshift ferry and I doubt they run in the dark. You might make it, but you'd probably be better off breaking your journey somewhere like Pakse, which is a pretty nice town. You'll have to stop there anyway to change buses or to get onto a songthaew for Champasak.

Day 14 ... you plan to travel from Phonsavan to Vientiane and then head straight to the airport? If so, you better cut yourself some more time and get into Vientiane the day before you're scheduled to fly home.

Have you considered entering Laos from SE Thailand (Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani by night train, and then the International Bus to Pakse) and make Champasak your first stop? You could leave Bangkok in the evening and be in Champasak the following day at around lunchtime. Then head north, making stops at the Bolaven Plateau, Pakse, Thakhek, Thong Lor, Vientiane, Phonsavan, then LP? You can fly back to Vientiane from LP.

#2 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 07:09

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

It's generally unwise to plan such a brisk itinerary in Laos. Imagine if there is a mechanical breakdown or flat tire (etc.) on any of your transport options (bus, minvan, pickup) your whole plan could fall apart with it. I would cut something out, either Kong Lor or Phonsavan, and set a slower pace, and allow time for things to go wrong.

#3 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 23:43

• araxas

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2012

Thanks for the tips! I've decided to just cut out southern Laos from my trip and spend more time at a slower pace (and with room for hiccups) in the North. I'll do the caves from Vientiane and then head back there at the end of my trip. That frees up three days for me.

#4 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 01:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.