Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Going back to Laos - itinerary suggestions

Posted by Oystein on 20/9/2012 at 08:08

Hi,

First of all, thank you to everyone who is contributing to this forum. Ive been using the information here quite a bit, but this is my first post here.

The topic of this post is regarding a planned trip, going back to Laos the summer of 2013. Me and my girlfriend went to Laos the summer of 2011, and really loved it. Our challenge now (luxury problem) is to plan an itinerary that doesnt overlap too much with what we saw then, but still includes many nice and interesting spots.

Our itinerary in 2011 was:

(Overland from Kunming) -> Luang Nam Tha (3 days)
Udomxai (1 day)
Muang Ngoi (3 days)
Luang Prabang (4 days)
Pakse (1 day)
The "loop", scooter around and on the Bolovan Plateau (3 days)
Champasak (3 days)
Si Phan Don (4 days)

So, we saw quite a bit. We like to get away from the crowds, and for instance really enjoyed Muang Ngoi and the smaller spots around the Bolovan plateau. I dont want to plan the next trip in great detail, but what other spots / areas do you guys think we should focus on the next time around ? We are thinking about flying into Luang Prabang, and then continue on from there. For instance Phongsali looks very interesting, but the long commute is slightly discouraging.

Any input is greatly appreciated! :)

#1 Oystein has been a member since 20/9/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/9/2012 at 20:30 admin

I liked Phongsali - and one option would be to do the whole trip by boat -- ie Luang Prabang - Nong Khiaor - Muang Ngoi - Muang Khua - Hat Sa then overland to Phongsali -- it is a beatuiful trip and you could break up the trip (well you'd have too mostly) at each of the towns.

We've a researcher in northern Laos at the moment and he's reporting very few people out Muang Long / Muang Sing / Luang Nam Tha way -- so perhaps you could then lopp back from Phongsali via Udomxai across that way, then exit via Gibbon Experience and Huay xai...

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.