Flag of Laos

Laos forum

3 weeks in Laos: 1 for the south and 2 for the north. It is feasible ?

• vuh

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2007

I have read most of the message on this travelboard and thanks to all of you for having spent times providing information.
    But, I still have questions becauseI have 3 weeks in Laos and I plan to spend:

1. one week in the southern region, including: Pakse, the 4000 islands (2 days) and the Bolaven Plateau, 4 days (Salavan,Sekong, Attapeu)
    It will be an error if I skip Champasak? How many days would be recommended for this area?
    2. Two weeks in the northern region including: Vang Vieng, Luang Prabang, Luang Nam Tha, Muang Ngoi, Udomxai and Nong Khiaw.
    What is the travel time from Muang Ngoi to Nong Khiaw by bus ?
    If I trek in Luang Nam Tha, it would be a pitty to skip Muang Xing (at the China border) or Muang Xing is a must see place?
    3. Laos to Vietnam: overland border crossing at Na Maew / Nam Xoi
    I have read this report from Chunk79 reports from 13 October 2006 and but I cannot figure out how long is it from Nong Khiaw to Sam Neua ? Are there a lot of travellers crossing this border point?
    Could anyone give opinion about safety crossing this boarder overland, especially for a female traveling alone?
    Does my itinerary seems feasible or too short on time? If it is too short, I would not mind flying to save times. I’d rather pay more to save time and enjoy more staying at the place
    Did anyone has made the same itinerary? What are your recommandations?

Thank your for your help

#1 Posted: 2/5/2007 - 23:07

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi vuh,

A couple of suggestions:

1) You're trying to do too much in the far south in my opinion. Two days in Si Phan Don (4,000 islands) isn't very long, and I'd say Champasak is more interesting than Salavan or Sekong. If you want to head out to the Bolaven, I'd suggest skipping Attapeu, Sekong and Salavan, add at least one day to Si Phan Don and then perhaps see Pak Song or better still, Tad Lo.

2) I'd suggest skipping Udomxai. The trekking is better organised out of Luang Nam Tha than Muang Sing.

3) For that crossing, you'll need to overnight at Sam Neua before leaving early the following morning for the crossing. It is a fairly popular crossing, but still sees barely a trickle of foreigners using it each day. Safety wise, it should be ok - there's a lot of solo female travellers in Laos.

I think overall your itinierary is a bit rushed. I'd suggest reconsidering how many places you're thinking of seeing in the south, and if you're heading to Hanoi anyway, perhaps look into flting from Luang Prabang to there to save you a few more days.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 3/5/2007 - 13:08

• vuh

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2007

Hello Somtam,

Many thanks for your advices which are very helpful. You're right, I'll restrict more my itinerary in the south to allow times to enjoy places.

Last night, I meet a traveller who was in Laos last December and he told me that the border crossing at Na Maew / Nam Xoi was closed to foreigner travellers in December 2006. It may have change since there.
    Has someones recently crossed the border at this place?

Do you know if there is reliable website or any information source where it is possible to check out the situation of these border crossing points ?

If border crossing requires so much time, I'll consider flying from Luang Prabang to Hanoi. Is it better to book very in advance the fly ticket or I can book it on the spot as they are only few flights a week ?

Thank you very much

#3 Posted: 4/5/2007 - 15:34

• marolin

Joined Travelfish
    28th June, 2007

Hi,

The border crossing at Na Maew / Nam Xoi is open, we crossed there from Vietnam to Laos one week ago. We met several backpackers in Sam Neua and Vieng Xai crossing over to Vietnam, but very few are going the other way as we did.

There is a direct bus from Sam Neua to Thanh Hoa in Vietnam, BUT it only goes 3 days a week, so be sure you get there on the right day. From Thanh Hoa you there are lots of busses to Hanoi, 3h, 45.000 dong. You can make it there on your own but then you'll have to change bus a lot of times and the local transport is very infrequent.

It can be hard to find a good transport between the Vietnamese border and the closest town, Quan Song. The Motorcycle taxi guys charge you the absurd sum of 10$/person for the 50 km drive. So if you can, take the direct bus...

As to crossing from Vietnam to Laos, we took a minibus from Thanh Hoa to Quan Song (5 am, 6h, 7$) but there was no transport from there to the border. We refused to pay 10$ for a MC and finally managed to hitch-hike. :-) There are very few transports from the border to the closest Lao town as well, a friend had to wait 5h before a car came by.

Sam Neua is an ok town, a travel hub. But if you can, move on to Vieng Xai 30 min further. It's a gorgeous small town and there you can visit the huge caves where the Lao communist party leaders hid during the American bombardment. One of the best places so far in Laos! From Vieng Xai you can jump on the direct bus that goes to the border and Thanh Hoa.

#4 Posted: 28/6/2007 - 19:30

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

2. only boats between Muang Ngoi & Nong Khiaw...Muang Ngoi has no road access.

#5 Posted: 29/6/2007 - 07:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Two weeks in Laos from North to South, advices? ... By bar002 on 12 Feb 2010 16 2971 18 Feb 2010
$1000 for 5 weeks: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam - Feasible??? ... By quddus on 11 Nov 2008 2 4562 12 Nov 2008
2 weeks in Thailand in MARCH - 1 wk north and 1 south! Where to go? Help! Leaving in 3 weeks! ... By oberik on 22 Feb 2011 12 5385 28 Feb 2011
2 weeks in december: north or south (or both)? ... By valentinaforno on 2 Sep 2013 8 1724 18 Sep 2013
in 3 weeks from north to south...a little help with planning ... By thronesofblood on 7 Jan 2012 3 2592 9 Jan 2012
3 Weeks South to North over CHRISTMAS period! ... By travellingtom88 on 7 Oct 2013 3 1096 2 Nov 2013
3 weeks: from north to south itinerary (and Angkor?) ... By Dimas on 22 Jul 2014 1 363 23 Jul 2014
3 weeks starting the 25th December looking for ideas about the North and South ... By ecoldwell on 2 Oct 2008 2 1933 3 Oct 2008
3-weeks South Vietnam and South Laos itinerary ... By Foolslena on 19 Jun 2013 6 1803 8 Aug 2013
If you had 30 days in Laos ..... (North and/or South) ... By dclayw on 17 Sep 2009 10 3631 12 Oct 2009