Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Village visits from Luang Prabang

• pete61

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

Hi,
    Four of us (2+2 young teenagers) are travelling through Laos in January and we are looking at a fantastic tour called the Akha village project (Tiger Trails). Fantastic idea to support a village and the community by giving them a different type of income by receiving guests and showing them their ways of life. Great for the children too to show them how life is for others.
    My problem is cost for 4 people. Is their something similar we can do from LP to experience this lifestyle that is not so expensive? Not trying to be cheap but it may be cost prohibitive at their price (and I'm not saying it's not good value).
    We are also spending a week or so around Pakse way.
    Any suggestions please.

Thanks, Pete

#1 Posted: 22/9/2012 - 00:11

• Advertisement

• enday

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012
    Total reviews: 6

Are you referring to to the 6 day Akha experience that's $400US . I think that's a reasonable price for that length of time.

#2 Posted: 22/9/2012 - 07:21

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Right in Luang Prabang, all you need to do is cross the Mekong to see rural village life. I believe that side of the river is relatively untouched by the tourism factor that has turned LP into a semi-posh destination. Just rent bikes and take a ferry across - I might be joining you. (no need for a fancy tour)

#3 Posted: 22/9/2012 - 09:47

• pete61

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

Thanks daawgon, we'll look at that.

enday, I agree, but it's not about the value, it looks like a fantastic tour- it's the cost that's all, for the four of us.

Any other thoughts anyone?

Thanks, Pete

#4 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 05:03

• enday

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012
    Total reviews: 6

It depends what you mean by "experience this lifestyle" because just walking through villages and maybe striking up conversation with locals does not really sound like what you're after (though it sounds perfectly fine)
    I'm pretty sure Tiger Trail do a considerably cheaper, shorter 'culture lodge' stay from Nong Khiaw based on the same principal of generating an alternative and sustainable income source. I cant accurately remember the price, but it was under $150 each for two, it would be cheaper for four. (I didn't do it but I enquired.) The bonus is that Nong Khiaw is gorgeous and you could get the slow boat back to LP from there.
    I'm curious about other peoples experiences too!

#5 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 06:29

• pete61

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

Great suggestion thanks enday.
    We checked out the options at Nong Khiaw which look really good. Not so much travel to get there, a stay in a couple of villages and a boat ride too. The long trip further north to the Akha would be through a lot of beautiful country but maybe next time.
    Pete

#6 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 05:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Minimally invasive ways to glimpse village life near Luang Prabang? ... By glomer on 3 Apr 2010 19 3081 14 May 2010
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9549 19 Aug 2011
Luang Chumni Village - new B&B in Ayutthaya ... By Chirdsak on 11 Apr 2009 0 2751 11 Apr 2009