Flag of Laos

Laos forum

VT-LP in Oct - boat, bus, or plane?

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Dear all, i'll be in Laos during 4 - 10 Oct. a few questions:

1. Is this period high or low in terms of tourism?

2. I will go from VT to LP, should I take boat(would the water level be sufficient?) or bus? which offers a better experience? fyi, i'll travel from LP to Huay Xai/Chiang Khong and then on to Chiang Mai by boat, so will get a fair share of boating experience here.

3. How about going by plane? any gain/loss as compared with travelling by road or by river?

4. in whichever mode above, what's the cost, and, is advance booking needed?

5. Is it ok to give Vang Vieng a miss?

Thanks...

#1 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 11:24

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

1. Is this period high or low in terms of tourism?
    Low season

2. I will go from VT to LP, should I take boat(would the water level be sufficient?) or bus? which offers a better experience? fyi, i'll travel from LP to Huay Xai/Chiang Khong and then on to Chiang Mai by boat, so will get a fair share of boating experience here.
    You can't go by boat from VT to LP and no boat to Chiang Mai. Only boats from LP to the Thai border. Yes there is enough water to do the boat trip almost any time of year, just buy the ticket same morning and go, no need to pre-book. VT to LP flights cost $82 and take less than an hour, bus is cheap but takes about 10 hours.

5. Is it ok to give Vang Vieng a miss?
    It's a convenient stop-off point travelling by road from VT to LP, and it's in a beautiful area, so yes it's worth while.

#2 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 06:01

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

thanks Bob. if it is low season, then I can assume that i can walk in to any guesthouses or hotels in VT, VV, and LP and no need to pre-book?

if VV is worth the while, then i think bus would be ideal. how much would the bus cost? also, would like to know the boat ticket price for LP-HX?

Thanks again...

#3 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 08:30

• enday

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012
    Total reviews: 6

I think the bus was about 120,000 kip, less than $20. That's a memory, its cheap though. I flew that part of my trip a few months ago. Next time I'll bus it though. I flew because I didn't want anything to do with the tubing scene, but then I heard later that's its actually easy be in VV and be separate to that part of town!
    I think just checking out Guesthouses when you get there is the most fun and you wont miss out, there heaps of places to choose between. Just Suss prices on here or in a lonely planet so you have a bit of a price guide in mind.
    Have fun

#4 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 08:44

• enday

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012
    Total reviews: 6

Oops, you meant pre nook travel not place to stay. I don't think you need to, unless you're hell bent on flying on a certain day, should be able to get a bus ticket the afternoon before

#5 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 08:46

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

if it is low season, then I can assume that i can walk in to any guesthouses or hotels in VT, VV, and LP and no need to pre-book?
    Sure no problem. Maybe if you're picky you won't get your first choice but you will definitely find a room without pre-booking. I usually phone ahead the day before if I have a place in mind, but it's not really necessary.

if VV is worth the while, then i think bus would be ideal. how much would the bus cost?

See http://hobomaps.com/TravelVangVieng.html
    Vientiane-Vang Vieng probably 40,000 or 60,000 kip. Peanuts.

the boat ticket price for LP-HX?
    Downstream it costs 220,000 kip but I think it's slightly cheaper upstream. 200,000 kip when I last checked. The boat ramp and ticket office is right there in town with prices clearly marked. Agents will naturally charge more.

#6 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 09:48

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

Thanks both enday and Bob.

so i'll take bus for VT - VV, and VV - LP.
    after that, will take boat for LP - HX. I know that we will have to put up one night half-way at Pakbeng. would like to know the average price and condition of accomodation there at Pakbeng. Do you have any particular nice places to recommend?

#7 Posted: 26/9/2012 - 02:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Plane or boat to Phu Quoc? ... By EmBees on 14 Dec 2008 3 1939 16 Dec 2008
Boat or plane from HCMC to PP ... By tverity on 24 Sep 2009 4 1470 29 Sep 2009