Flag of Laos

Laos forum

From Bangkok to Huay Xai

• Dutchy

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2012

Hi there! At the end of October I´ll arrive in Bangkok. I will stay there for night and doing a cycle trip the next morning, but.....After that want to go as quick as possible to Chiang Khong/Huay Xai to do the Gibbon Experience! Who can tell me the quickest option? I would like to book the Gibbon Experience, but don´t now yet when I can arrive there (in Huay Xai)
    You would really help me with the answer! Thanks!

#1 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 16:51

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You can get an overnight direct bus from Bangkok to Chiang Khong (the Thai town opposite Huay Xai) from the northern bus station in Bangkok.

Otherwise you could fly to Chiang Rai and get a bus from there to Chiang Khong.

#2 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 18:03

• Dutchy

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2012

Thanks for your answer!! Do you also know what time that bus leaves from Bangkok and what time it will be in Chiang Kong? The Gibbon Experience starts at 9.00 am and I also need to get a visa.

#3 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 06:00

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Once you've made a booking for GibbonX they usually ask you to check in with their office in Huay Xai the day before at 5pm.

#4 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 09:51

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

copied from my reply to someone who asked about booking bus tickets in advance, can ignore the parts about advance reservation if it doesn't apply to you:

two of the more reputable companies doing the Bangkok- Chiang Khong route are Transport Co. & Sombat Tour Co.

for Transport Co., you can buy the ticket in advance by going to a Thai Ticket Major (TTM) outlet in central Bangkok: http://www.thaiticketmajor.com/outlets_eng.php#ttmoutlets
    TTM handles ticketing for Major cineplexes, concerts & other performances/events, so you'll find an outlet in most large shopping malls. pay in full & they'll issue you a voucher, exchange this voucher for the ticket at the TTM counter on ground floor of Mor Chit inter-province bus terminal. you can do the exchange on the actual day of travel, i do it at least 2 h before departure cos the bus terminal gets busy from ~6:00pm onwards (also prefer to get to the bus terminal before the evening traffic jams).

Transport Co. current schedule for BKK (Mor Chit) > Chiang Khong night buses (route #962-5) (not sure if it will change by Dec):
    - 1st class 48-seat bus / dept 20:00 / 13 h / 688 baht
    - 2nd class 55-seat bus / dept 18:40 & 19:40 / 13.5 h / 535 baht
    not sure if this fare includes the booking fee charged by TTM (it was 40 baht).

for Sombat Tour Co., you'll have to get someone who speaks Thai to help you out with booking through their call centre & making payment: http://www.sombattour.com/html/book_callcenter.php
    Sombat Tour Co. current schedule:
    - 1st class / dept 19:00 & 20:15 / 688 baht
    - 2nd class / dept 19:20 / 535 baht
    they also have a 1st class bus (dept 19:40) & a VIP bus (dept 20:40, 1070 baht) that depart from their little own Viphavadee terminal (somewhere along the highway north of Mor Chit).

#5 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 16:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.