Flag of Laos

Laos forum

friday off to laos

• tinacrossman

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

we are currently in Chaing Rai and leave on Friday for 30 days in Laos - the only thing is we are not travelling light as we are away for one year. We have two massive suitcases (and two small ones) which have not been a problem so far but reading about Laos on TF I am wondering what to do! Can you help? We fancy going from Huay xai to Vientaine and stopping at the little villages along the way as suggested on the itinery but transport seems to be a worry! We wanted to travel via boats and bus but will our four pieces of luggage be a problem? Shall we leave them in chaing rai and come back - dont really want to do that.
    what do you all think? Also we are not able to pull our cases and look for accommodation and so far have booked ahead on line - we have been away for 2 months now - is this possible in Laos - We have to run a business from our laptop - is there internet? we dont have much time folks - am going to dinner now - any suggestions before we get back would be great!!! ha ha I know we sound slightly eccentric but we are English!!

#1 Posted: 30/9/2012 - 07:58

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I've seen many travelers with massive 80L backpacks and a fairly full duffle bag load up, so I don't see the issue with your luggage. They will find a way to get your luggage on the busses for sure - the roof is always available if there isn't any room left in the isle.

"we are not able to pull our cases and look for accommodation" - I'm not sure what this means, other than maybe that you don't want to walk around with your bags looking for a place. Luang Prabang and Vientiane you should have no problem booking ahead. Often when you arrive at a bus station or dock in Laos there will be a plethora of Tuk-Tuk drivers happy to load up your luggage and take you to a spot or two until you find a place to check-in.

Internet . . . depends on just how small the village is.

#2 Posted: 30/9/2012 - 20:36

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Surprisingly, I found wifi in most of the places that I stayed in Laos (including Nong Khiaw, Pakse, Tak Theng, Sekong....I was kind of surprised. It's improving all the time. Be prepared to pay more for it in accom, or hang out in restaurants to use it.

#3 Posted: 30/9/2012 - 21:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"ha ha I know we sound slightly eccentric but we are English!!"

Great line. Nothing better than people who are self aware.

I lived for a year with what I could carry in my rucksack. And that had to include a fair amount of food, water and ammunition. But, then, I only needed two changes of clothes...

Have a great trip. You'll be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM3gKnakoQ8

#4 Posted: 30/9/2012 - 22:54

• tinacrossman

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

thank you - yes I expect we are not the first to arrive with lots of luggage so feel bit happier now! We have looked at some hotel/guest houses but no on line booking so will take your advise and keep addresses and get tuk tuk. we love thailand but are looking forward to our next adventure which I am sure Laos will be. :)

#5 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 05:51

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

You'll be fine in Laos with all that luggage. It'll just be a hassle at times especially when on crowded transport or when it's raining and the road is muddy and you can't wheel it down the road to your hotel. But it's not that big a deal.

Internet is available in almost every town via the mobile network. Just pick up an ETL or Unitel sim card for your smartphone and you'll be set. Often, it's incredibly fast, other times it barely works. Still, you can't complain when all around you are people living in grass huts.

#6 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 20:36

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Yes there is internet. You are not going to the middle of the Sahara or the Amazon, you know. Yes, you can book on line.

#7 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 21:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.